Sunday, February 04, 2007

February 4th Daily Word and Visions from God



Luke 24.13-53-Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures…When He reclined at the table with them, He took the bread and blessed it, and breaking it, he began giving it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him; and He vanished from their sight. They said to one another, "Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?"

Genesis 44-"Now therefore please let you servant remain instead of the lad a slave to my lord, and let the lad go up with his brothers."

Psalm 35-And my tongue shall declare Your righteousness and Your praise all day long.

Luke 5.1-11-"Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch."

Last night, my wife, Sue, a friend, Paul, and myself went to Winter Jam 2007 at Cincinnati Gardens. There came a time when a prayer was prayed. The prayer went along the lines that if we believed in Christ as our Savior we would raise our hands. Up my hand goes. Then, since we believed we would be willing to profess that belief boldly and stand. So I stood. Then since we were standing, fill out this card called a "Decision Card" and boldly walk to an usher on the aisle with a bag and he would give me a pencil or something like that. Huh? They would take these cards and count all the people who made decisions for Christ the first time. Huh? For a pencil? What in the hell was that all about? When I stood up there were many people around me still sitting! People with T-shirts and stuff proclaiming their faith boldly. They can’t stand or something? Of course this was some twisted version of an altar call. But a "Decision Card" for a pencil? Come on! I don’t need a card for that. My decision is a response for the greatest gift of all. Not some dumb pencil! My decision is a response to a decision that was made for me years ago! Through Jesus suffering, death, and resurrection, he made the decision first to save me and free me from my sin and death. Jesus made the decision, not me! My decision means nothing without his decision first. In Jesus decision he didn’t need to fill out a card. He got a form of a pencil though. He did get some wood to suffer on. And today this decision to go to the aisle for a pencil was causing me some suffering too! The wood Christ received for His decision to save all of us wasn’t quite a reward. It brought pain and suffering. It brought death. But oh how that wood brought joy and salvation to me and to you! Oh how that wooden cross saved us. Through Jesus decision. So I guess, in the end there is some value to that wooden pencil gift given for all these people’s responses on the "Decision Card." Each one of them received some wood to take with them to remember a decision made one evening at a Winter Jam concert. Each one should make that same decision morning after morning, day after day to respond to the grace of Christ and follow Him. Each one should be willing to stand up boldly to proclaim their love of God through Christ Jesus day after day. Each one should never again sit still while asked to stand for their belief in Christ. Each one should respond to that first decision made years ago where Christ received the wood of a cross to die for our sins and save us from death and hell. So don’t just sit there. Stand up and take your pencil and proclaim the value of some wood from a carpenter's Son. Today, tomorrow and the rest of your life. For in life, Jesus will walk that road with you. In Life, Jesus will open the scriptures to you and show you His presence. In Life, Jesus will call you out to the deep waters to cast out your net. To stand up boldly and declare your belief in Him. In Life, you will praise God for that wondrous decision He first made, even before you were born. And in Life, you will gladly substitute yourself for another to bring them to Christ so that they may see the decision made for them out of love for that first decision years ago. Then you can decide if you want to stand or not. But the first decision of salvation has already been made for you. How will you respond?

Lord, I give you all thanks and praise for Your decision to love me with all your heart---For Your decision to give me Life---For Your decision to save me from my sin---Forgive me this day all my sin---I, without a doubt will follow you, for you have shown me great and awesome love! ---Lead me and send me this day to do Your will. ---Amen

No comments: