Saturday, January 01, 2005

January 1st Reflections

Saturday 1/1/2005
Luke 5.27-39 - Jesus saw a tax collector and said come with me - Levi left everything and went with Jesus -- what powerful faith! - so Levi fixes a meal for Jesus and invites all his work buddies - the Pharisees can’t figure out why Jesus hangs out with these low life people - but Jesus tells them he didn’t come to invite good people to God - he came to invite the sinners -- makes you wonder who the sinners really are-- I think a whole bunch of them are the ones that think they are good people -- a question came up to Jesus about fasting - for now while Jesus is present don’t worry about that - but there will be times when you need to fast
Genesis 1-2 - God created -- Light-Sky-Land-Ocean-Plants-Sun-Moon-Stars-Fish-Birds-Animals-Reptiles-Humans to be like himself - he made men and women and blessed them -- have children - fill the earth and bring it under your control - rule over it all -eat what is provided -- and God saw that it was all good --- then God rested - God made man out of soil -actually out of dirt-water and God‘s own breath- wow!- God breathed life into the man - God placed man in the Garden where every need is met - God put a couple of trees in the garden - one tree gave life- the other tree gave the power to know the difference between right and wrong - God told man that he could have anything but the fruit of the tree that gives the power to know the difference between right and wrong --the man named everything but didn’t have a suitable partner - then God created woman out of one of the man’s ribs to be his partner-- a few thoughts -- God was all around before creation -- then he began to separate things- on his own initiative he separated things and created -- this separation ends up being a source for sin for humans -- God is separate from us - God is God -- but we constantly try to eliminate that separation - we constantly try to become God ourselves - to eliminate our dependence on God- when Adam and Eve were naked -- they didn’t know any better - they were fully dependent on God to take care of them - there was that separation - God took care of all their needs -- But once they sinned and disobeyed - they got what the wanted -knowledge of the difference between right and wrong -- they didn’t need that knowledge -- but they wanted it - because they thought they could eliminate that separation that God had put between creator and created and they thought they could become God -- that is sin in itself and leads to failure throughout human history - so God in creation saw the separation and how good it was - man wanted to eliminate it -- and how bad that became -- then the twist -- since God knows that man cannot become God -- God became man and sent his son Jesus to take on flesh and save us from our sin -- now that’s really cool and loving thing to do -- we messed it all up by trying to be God -- by trying to do it all ourselves - we fail -- but God succeeds -- he comes to us in Jesus - we can’t come to God -- God wants that separation because God is God -- but God can come to us -- and he does - God comes to us in Jesus -- and eliminates the separation on God’s terms -- not mine or yours - God is God -- and Jesus always comes to me and is with me and loves me and saves me -- God came to me -- I can never come to God --- The creation story! -- Wow -- and how Jesus is so present! -- It never ceases to amaze me!
Psalm 1 - Don’t follow sinners - don’t sneer at God - God’s Law can make you happy - be constantly open to God‘s teaching - it will bring blessing and happiness- think about it - you must produce fruit - God will protect you if you follow him
Contrast the peaceful things and that of reality and it’s harshness. Christ is present in both and is bold enough to be with you peacefully in the reality of your life. Take comfort. Jesus saves you.
Call on God in prayer, praise and thanksgiving -- Honor God’s name
Luke 2.15-21 -The shepherds visit Jesus after the angels had left -- they got up and went - then they told others -- Jesus was circumcised and named after eight days had passed -- Jesus - the name given by the angel - Jesus makes it all new again -through salvation - it’s all new through forgiveness
Philemon 1-7 - Greeting to the New Year -- in love that is demonstrated by God and by his children -- share faith -- receive joy, encouragement and love -- all so easy -- it’s all so new and fresh - greetings!
Psalm 1 - Happy! Delight- Planted- Yield - Prosper - Be happy and delighted -- be planted in your faith -- deliver the fruits of the Spirit and God will make you prosper in Him -- it won’t be easy -- but it’s gonna be a blast!-- You will be Happy!
Prayer - Jesus - you come to me - I can’t come to you - it just doesn’t work - if I do I get all wrapped up in trying to do it all for myself I just fall deeper into sin - I can’t come to you -- but in the very beginning you came to me - come on in and have dinner with me - come on in and show me what you would have me do this day - come on in and show me the power of your body and blood- come on in and have dinner with me - I’m so glad you came over today - I’m so glad you started off creation and this new year by coming by -- come on in -- oh! -- I see -- you came over - you knocked -- but you want me to come out and play -- ok -- we will do it your way - yea that’s right - you didn’t come over to take it easy - you have a purpose and it’s not to sit around and discuss stuff with the Pharisees -- it’s to get out with the people - the people in the world who are sinners - the people in the world who need your salvation -- ok - let’s go play then - show me what to do - forgive my sins- lead and guide me - let me serve those same people - show me how - show me how you do it - I’m ready to learn it and play the game-- Let’s play! -- Amen

No comments: