Tuesday, December 13, 2005

December 13th People Reflection

Tuesday 12/13/2005

Philippians 1.12-30-Not only do you have faith in Christ, but you suffer for him.

Ezekiel 19-She taught one of them to hunt, and he learned to eat people.

Isaiah 48-He led us through a desert and made water flow from a rock to satisfy our thirst.

Psalm 94-But the LORD has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.

Matthew 25.1-13-Keep awake therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Psalm 114-who turns the rock into a pool of water, the flint into a spring of water

"No, you are not allowed to move backwards."- A Father and Son playing checkers. Makes me think of my relationship with God and sometimes others too. I look backwards and learn from my past but I don’t move backwards. God gives me reflection and memory. He gives me history. He gives me a story in my past. But while I look backwards and reflect on God in my life – I move forwards. I may look back at the desert- where I have traveled but I look forward the assurance of hope in God to a future- all the while I live in the present- the present where feeling and emotion and love and thanksgiving all exist- here and now- in the present where I feel that cool touch of water that God has provided from a rock on my dry lips and parched tongue- in the present where I wade in the pool of baptismal water from the rock- in the spring of water I feel God’s presence in that baptismal water day after day- I live in the present where God is with me and is my stronghold and refuge- my protection – and there is danger in the present- there are those who were raised to "eat people" – to consume all my energy and sap my strength- but I live in the present trusting in God’s protection from people who would harm me. "No, you are not allowed to move backwards."- I look backwards with thanks and praise- I live in the present with God by my side with thanks and praise- I look to the future and trust and hope in all of God’s promises--- no need to move backwards now- God will lead me forwards.

Prayer- Lord, lead me forwards this day- be present in my life and let me rejoice in all you have given- give and will give to come- I love you. -- Amen

No comments: