Saturday, December 24, 2005

December 24th People Reflections

Saturday 12/24/2005

Luke 1.57-80-You will tell his people that they can be saved when their sins are forgiven.

Ezekiel 35-36-I will take away your stubborn heart and give you a new heart and a desire to be faithful.

Isaiah 59-My people, I promise to give you my Spirit and my message.

Titus 2.11-14-For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all

Luke 2.1-14-you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger

Psalm 77-Your way was through the sea, your path, through the mighty waters

"I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season with your family in Ohio."- Written words – not spoken- words that are very insincere- sarcastic and awful when they are put in context with the remainder of the letter. Words from a stubborn heart- making my heart stubborn too- words that are sinful that beget more sin-but God’s way is different from all this- as humans we sin against each other and create more sin- I think God knows this- I think God sent his Son – as a baby – poor and lowly- not high and mighty- not abusing his position of power to destroy life- as humans we tend to work our way up- and as we get higher and higher in society – sometimes we think we have earned this position and use the power of our position to rule and sin against others- just because we can- just to feel good- but I don’t think that’s what God’s intentions are- Jesus-baby in a manger- poor- lowly- yet the most powerful person ever- creating and giving life- forgiving salvation to all who don’t deserve it- takes away my stubborn heart and gives me freely a desire to be faithful- forgives my sins and saves me from myself- from my desire for revenge- gives me the correct Spirit- a sincere spirit- honest and not sarcastic- in Jesus context of the letter of life there is hope, joy, love and salvation- there is grace and salvation for all- yea – Jesus – wrapped in bands of cloth lying in a manger- some thirty years later in history – he would once again be wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a tomb- placed there by my sarcasm, my sin, my revenge, my hate – but this isn’t the way of Jesus- his way is sincere and loving – his way is through the sea- through the mighty waters of baptism where the life of God is given to all- just like his baptism started a ministry that through the darkness of this world –he would bring life and salvation- from his beginnings in strips of cloth to the tomb in strips of cloth to his resurrection – "I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season with your family in Ohio."- We can be so cruel to each other- No- I won’t have a wonderful holiday season in Ohio due to this greeting- but I will have a wonderful Christmas season in Ohio due to a loving God who came to save us all – from ourselves and each other.

Prayer- Lord, on this the eve of your birth- be born in my life and remove my feelings of hatred and bless me with your love that I may take it to all the world. -- Amen

No comments: