Tuesday, August 07, 2007

August 7th - 11th Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer



A brief note: I was privileged to be elected as a Voting Member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) for the 10th Churchwide Assembly by the Southern Ohio Synod. The Assembly took place August 6th through the 11th. Over one thousand elected Voting Members assemble to deal with the reports and actions for the National Church of the ELCA. This assembly gathered at the Navy Pier in Chicago. The days were intense but deeply gratifying. We prayed, sang hymns and had Bible Studies throughout this time as we made decisions regarding policy, report and procedures. The Holy Spirit was present. Each day a Communion Service was held. We worshipped as the Body of Christ in this place. We elected a Churchwide Bishop and Secretary. We adopted a social statement, approved budgets and deliberated as a the faithful people of God. The following Hymns and reflections are hymns used during worship or during the plenary sessions. I am honored and humbled to have had this opportunity to be called to this "Sent" Church. Thanks be to God!

August 7th Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer

Hymn of the Day
Creator Spirit, heavenly dove, descend upon us from above; with graces manifold restore your creatures as they were before. ("Creator Spirit, Heavenly Dove" - Text: Rhabanus Maurus, 776-856; tr. composite)
--- --- ---

Readings of the Day
2 Corinthians 8-
For I testify that according to their ability and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord.
2 Kings 20-21-I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold, I will heal you. On the third day you shall go up to the house of the LORD.
Nahum 2-For the LORD will restore the splendor of Jacob…
Ecclesiastes 3.16-4.8-The fool folds his hands and consumes his own flesh.
--- --- ---

God’s Word of the Day
Don’t settle in on yourself. Rather I send you to settle in My Love with the people I give you in My Kingdom.
--- --- ---

Psalm of the Day
I know Lord that I need to give my all to You.
But I fail to do this.
I cheat it down a little.
Forgive my inaction.
Forgive my misguided action.
Return me to Your favor.
Return Your joy to me.
Show me how to treat my neighbor in Your Love.
Show me how to be generous in Your way.
Show me how to live for You.
--- --- ---

Prayer of the Day
Hear my prayer O Lord. Hear my prayer for my family, my neighbor the world and myself. I plead for You to save and restore all to the creation You have in mind. I pray for that third day resurrection of Life and Love for all creation. When I tend to consume my own flesh correct me. Show me that it is in Your flesh that I am saved. Only through You and Your action can I be restored. Yes, Lord, settle Your Love in my heart and make me active and sent for You. I love You Lord. You are my Life. You are my salvation. Lord, forgive me when I become selfish. Be with my family. Heal all mental illness. Restore us to Your favor and joy. I love You Lord. You are my God. Send me out this day in Your Love to be with the whole world. To touch someone with the Love You have given me. ---Amen
--- --- ---

August 8th Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer


Hymn of the Day
By your hand you feed your people, food of angels, heavens bread. For these gifts we did not labor, by your grace have we been fed: Christ’s own body, blessed and broken, cup over flowing, life out poured, given as a living token of your world redeemed, restored. ("By Your Hand You Feed Your People" - Text:Susan R. Briehl, b. 1952) --- --- ---

Readings of the Day
2 Corinthians 9-Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
2 Kings 22.1-23.34-When the king heard the words of the book of the law, he tore his clothes.
Nahum 3-There is no relief for your breakdown, your wound is incurable.
Ecclesiastes 12.1-14-Remember also the Creator in the days of your youth…
--- --- ---

God’s Word of the Day
I have called you by name. I give you responsibility. Live in my Kingdom. I invite you to come to the door and come out and play with me.
--- --- ---

Psalm of the Day
You feed me with Your very body and blood.
You give me Life from death.
You provide the gifts of ministry I need daily.
Now I will go and use what You have given me.
Go and live the Word You have taught to me.
Give me all the courage and strength needed.
As I open the door and see You inviting me into Your Kingdom;
I come in joy to run and play with You.
To love those today You give to me.
I become a youth in You.
I feel the wound of my sin healed.
I see Your Love and creation restored.
--- --- ---

Prayer of the Day
Lord, You are awesome and wonderful. I give You all thanks and glory and praise and honor. Be with me in Your Kingdom this day. I wanna play with You! ---Amen
--- --- ---

August 9th Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer


Hymn of the Day
O Spirit of life, O Spirit of God, in every need you bring us aid, proceeding forth from heaven’s throne, from God, the Fathers and the Son; O Spirit of life, O Spirit of God. ("Spirit of Life") --- --- ---

Readings of the Day
2 Corinthians 10-
But he who boasts is to boast in the Lord. For it is not he who commends himself that is approved, but he whom the Lord commends.
2 Kings 23.35-24.20-Then he led away into exile all Jerusalem and the captains and all the mighty men of valor, ten thousand captives, and all the craftsmen and the smiths. None remained except the poorest people in the land.
Habakkuk 1-Why do You make me see iniquity, and cause me to look on wickedness? Yes, destruction and violence are before me; strife exists and contention arises.
Genesis 15.1-16- Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; your reward shall be very great.
--- --- ---

God’s Word of the Day
I have shown you your sin. I have shown you evil in this world. Yet I still call you mine. I gift you with My Spirit and I send You into the Kingdom to do My will. Now go!
--- --- ---

Psalm of the Day
Spirit; You give me all I need.
Spirit; You come to my aid.
Spirit together with Father and Son; You come to me.
God; You call me.
God; You send me.
Be me guide and leader.
I will lead as I follow You.
I see my sin.
I see the sin and evil of this world.
Yet I also see Your creative power active.
I see Your hand in re-creation.
I see Your face in the face of those I meet.
You are so mysterious to me, yet so close.
Forgive my sin and re-create me into what You want.
Bring me forth from my selfish exile.
Bring me forth, changed and renewed in You.
Bring me out into Your Kingdom, called and sent.
Unsettle my heart to do Your will.
Unsettle my life to be with You.
You are my God now and forever.
You are my Savior and God.
I will lead as I follow You.
I will go where You send me.
I will do what You choose for me to do.
I will follow You all my days.
I will lead as I follow You.
Change me dear Lord.
Be in me as I am in You.
--- --- ---

Prayer of the Day
Lord, I seek You and hunt You down. I look for You in this world. I run into my own sin and evil. I run into the evil and injustice of this world. I seek You and hunt You down. Yet look! You are here by my side. As I hunt, I find You here with me. You are amazing and mysterious to me. You come to me and save me as I seek You and hunt You down. It’s all You. You come to me. I will follow You. You choose me and send me. Fill me with Your direction. Fill me with Your plan. Use me to lead in Your ways. Use me, I pray. ---Amen
--- --- ---

August 10th Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer


Hymn of the Day
Come, come, come, Holy Spirit, come. Come, come, come, Holy Spirit, come. ( "Gracious Spirit, Heed Our Pleading" - Text: Wilson Niwagila; tr. Howard S. Olson, b. 1922) --- --- ---

Readings of the Day
2 Corinthians 11-But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray form the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
2 Kings 25-So the city was under siege until the eleventh year of King Zedekiah.
Habakkuk 2-But the LORD is in His holy temple. Let all the earth be silent before Him.
Psalm 33.12-22- Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him. On those who hope for His lovingkindness, to deliver their soul from death and to keep them alive in famine.
--- --- ---

God’s Word of the Day
I am holy. I am your Lord. I always come to you.
--- --- ---

Psalm of the Day
Keep me from deception.
Keep my eye focused on You and Your way.
Help me when I stray.
Forgive me when I sin.
I sometimes turn inward and focus on myself.
Show Your presence and direct my ways.
Let my devotion be to Christ now and always
When I am under siege, protect me Lord.
Keep me safe from harm.
Keep my mind on You alone.
I am silent in Your presence.
Seeking Your Spirit.
Come Spirit, come.
Your eye is on me.
Come Spirit, come.
Come Spirit, come.
Come Spirit, come.
--- --- ---

Prayer of the Day
Lord, I know I need You. Forgive my selfish, haughty spirit of sin. Forgive me those times I try to do it on my own. Those times I think I can go it alone. I am silent before You. Only You can save me. I need Your Spirit, Lord. Come Spirit, come. Grant me Your forgiveness and grace. Come Spirit, come. ---Amen
--- --- ---

August 11th Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer


Hymn of the Day
Come and fill our hearts with your peace. You alone, O Lord, are holy. Come and fill our hearts with your peace. Alleluia. ("Come and Fill Our Hearts" Text:Psalm 136:1 (Latin); Taize Community)
--- --- ---

Readings of the Day
2 Corinthians 12-And I know how such a man---whether in the body or apart from the body I don not know, God knows---was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.
1 Chronicles 1-2-The sons of Abraham were Isaac and Ishmael.
Habakkuk 3-You went forth for the salvation of Your people, for the salvation of Your anointed. You struck the head of the house of the evil to lay him open from thigh to neck.
Hebrews 11.1-3, 8-16-But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one.
--- --- ---

God's Word of the Day
I am with you and in you and all around you. I will fill you to overflowing with Love and Peace.
--- --- ---

Psalm of the Day
You, Lord, fill me with Peace and Love.
You fill me to overflowing.
You fill me till I can't stand it any longer.
You provide so much Love and Peace that I can't help but to let it all spill over.
Spill over into the world You have sent me to.
Spill over into the lives of those around me.
Spill over on family and friends.
Spill over in inexpressible Word and Way.
Spill over the salvation from Your Son.
Spill over the Spirit.
Spill over a heavenly way.
Spill over in me today.
--- --- ---

Prayer of the Day
Lord, You are awesome. You fill me with Love and Peace. Let Your Love and Peace spill over in me today. Spill over into this world. ---Amen

No comments: