Tuesday, January 11, 2005

January 11th Reflection

Tuesday 1/11/2005
Luke 10.21-42 -- Jesus was thankful that God decided to reveal his secret to the humble people of the day - the plain ol people -- I’m happy about that too! - So an expert in the Law of Moses stands up and asks Jesus what he must do to have eternal life - Jesus turns it back on him - what do the scriptures say -- well it’s all about loving God and each other - so who are the each others - or neighbors? - then Jesus tells a story about a man robbed and beaten that needed help- half dead on the side of the road- all these people passed by that should have known better and helped the guy -- but a Samaritan stopped and helped the guy -- well Samaritan’s weren’t thought highly of from the Jews - even though they really are Jews -- they are the northern tribes of Israel -- they broke away from David and Jerusalem and set up their own temple in their own city - well to the Jews in Judah - this was a big thing - so these Jews didn’t get along with each other and grew to hate each other- so this Samaritan was the real neighbor - and so was the guy on the road - they both needed to show love to each other- the love of God in action! - Then the Martha - Mary story -- Martha is running around doing stuff but Mary is spending time with Jesus-- I like both of them - I think the point is not that one way is a better way to act than another- but that there are times when we run around with Jesus and there are times when we sit and listen - I need to figure out which time to do which - and not run around worrying about stuff when I need to listen - figure out which time to do which
Genesis 18 - So Abraham is visited by three people - one of them is God - Abraham prepares a meal for them - Sarah makes it all and it is served - Abraham is told that by this time next year he will have a son through Sarah - Sarah overheard and laughed - God asked Abraham why Sarah laughed - this scared Sarah and she lied and told God that she didn’t laugh - but God knows better and said “Yes, you did!� -- God was heading towards Sodom to see if it was as evil as he thought - God was going to destroy the city if it was- but Abraham knew Lot and his family were there - so Abraham goes through this whole bargaining thing with God to save the good people among the wicked and convinces God not to destroy the city or at least the good people in the city but spare them.-this whole passage and the one in the new testament on the transfiguration - strangely seem familiar to another story I’m aware of where Jesus and a couple of other people come to the front door to visit.
Psalm 11- What can an honest person do when everything crumbles? -- trust in God! - God tests honest people
God makes me special. Through my baptism I am called to ministry in his kingdom. God is proud of me and sends me out with his message of love and salvation.
I believe-I believe- I believe
Mark 1.14-28 - Repent and believe in the good news - Leave it all and follow Jesus - Listen to Jesus teachings - Jesus will take the unclean spirit from you
Philippians 4.8-9 - Do those things seen in Jesus
Psalm 45.1-7 - Ride on in majesty!
Prayer- Oh Jesus- I give you thanks for coming to me - I’m not wise or educated but just a plain ol guy - thanks for revealing yourself to me - thanks for telling me the story of caring and loving for others - show me when to scurry around today in your service and when to stop and listen to your teaching - come to me at that door - invite me out to play and let’s talk a while as we walk around town today- today I repent of my sins and ask your forgiveness that I may leave it all and follow you - take my unclean spirit from me and release me in your Spirit to serve you and proclaim your message in your kingdom. --- Amen

No comments: