Friday, January 14, 2005

January 14th Reflection

Friday 1/14/2005
Luke 12.1-31 - The crowd around Jesus was so big that they were stepping on each other - reminds me of the confusion and mass of people at the “Who� concert -- then in this crowd Jesus warns the people of dishonest teachers and how God knows everything and sees everything. -- don’t be afraid of people - people can kill you but that is nothing - God is the one I must fear - he can not only kill me but he can throw me into hell --and this is good to think about - even though it seems harsh - sometimes because of fear we are more paralyzed by people and fail to act especially in the way God would want us to act -- so act out for God -- when in a situation that you have to decide between the safety of doing something for “people� that is opposed to what God wants you to do -- be more afraid of God than the people -- and act in accordance to God’s will -- don’t be afraid - God will take care of you - it’s good to tell others that I belong to God - don’t be afraid to say this - be proud of it - don’t deny God just to be popular with “people� -- never speak against the Holy Spirit- you cannot be forgiven - this one was always a little strange to me -- because right before this Jesus said that if you speak against him you could be forgiven -- don’t be greedy - owning a bunch of stuff - won’t make your life safe - don’t store up everything for yourself and be poor in the sight of God -- it’s God’s stuff to begin with - don’t worry about your life - about having something to eat or wear - life is more than that - the whole idea here is to learn to trust in God - God will take care of all my needs - but I must learn to lay all my trust in God - it’s not as easy as it sounds -- but if I don’t lay all my trust in God -then I sin - cause by not trusting God - I must think I can trust in myself- becoming more like God -- and God is God - I can’t make myself God- so I must trust in God.
Genesis 21 - So Sarah finally has a son - when Abraham was 100 years old -- whew! -- they named him Isaac and he was circumcised -- when he was old enough to quit nursing - Abraham threw a party - so Sarah sees Hagar and Ishmael and gets to thinking that if they are around they may inherit some of Abraham’s stuff- so Sarah tells Abraham to run them off -- Abraham didn’t want to do this - he loved his wife and child too -- but God told Abraham it was ok -- that God would take care of them - go ahead and listen to Sarah and do as she asked -- so Abraham does- Hagar and Ishmael are in the desert and run out of water - Hagar begins to cry - God hears Ishmael cry and rescues them - shows Hagar a well - and Ishmael grows up strong and marries an Egyptian woman - it all works out for them because they trusted in God - remember Abimelech? -- he is the king that Abraham told Sarah was his sister and Abimelech almost slept with Sarah -- well Abimelech noticed how God blessed everything that Abraham did -- so Abimelech made a promise with Abraham that all his descendants would be loyal to him and they would live in peace together -- they now were allies and friends even though Abraham had lied to Abimelech earlier.
Psalm 14 - Only a fool would say, “There is no God!� - I only have to think of all the blessing God has given and shown to me to be convinced that there - without a doubt - it a God.
God makes me special. Through baptism I am called to ministry in his kingdom. God is proud of me and sends me out with his message of love and salvation.
I believe in Jesus - at great cost he saved me - a lost and condemned person - not with silver and gold but with his holy and precious blood and his innocent suffering and death.
1 Corinthians 1.1-9 - I give thanks to God for you- for you are a saint
Colossians 1.3-8 - I thank God for you in my prayers
Psalm 33.1-11 - Praise God with music - music of all kinds - for the Word of the LORD is upright
Prayer- Lord - today I come to you in that crowd - seeking healing and comfort and your salvation - we stumble over each other tying to get to you - but there is no need for this - for you have come to me - you have come to me to give me so much more than healing - you have come to me with your salvation - you have shown me the way to the well of water that saves me -that life-giving water of baptism - may I relive my baptism each day - and go out from myself this day to minister to all those I come in contact with - for I must trust in you - you will take care of all my needs and care for me beyond my wants and desires -- I give you thanks and praise with all I have- thanks for all my friends and those you have given to me and thanks most of all for that special friend in Jesus you sent to me -- Thanks be to God! -- Amen

No comments: