Friday, January 07, 2005

January 7th Reflections

Friday 1/7/2005
Luke 8.26-56 - So Jesus gave the demon possessed man a clear calling - “go back home and tell everone how much God has done for you.� -- I think this is one thing we are all called to do - Jesus had crossed the lake -- and met this man possessed with many demons -- the demons knew Jesus was going to cast them out and asked Jesus if they could go into a herd of pigs -- Jesus did this and the herd of pigs rushed off a cliff and into the lake and drowned. It seems that Jesus here even has compassion on the demons and grants their request - I wonder if there is something to that? - But this probably made the people I that Gentile area mad - because the herd of pigs was someones livelyhood that Jesus in a sense just destroyed for some guy they could care less about - I think that’s why the people begged Jesus to leave - enough of that stuff - get out of here - too bad they felt that way - but the demon possessed man was thankful and received a calling and mission from Jesus to tell his story - So Jesus is traveling and a man wants Jesus to see his daughter that is ill -- but there is a great crowd - someone touches Jesus in this crowd and Jesus wants to know who touched him - well the disciples wonder - hey! - you’re in a crowd - you big goof! -- all sorts of people have touched you- but Jesus felt power go out of him - well this woman who had been suffering form bleeding touched Jesus cloak and was healed - the woman told Jesus it was her - Jesus told the woman that her faith had healed her -- so a report comes to Jesus that the little girl had died - don’t bother - but Jesus told them - naw-- she is just sleeping - the people laughed at Jesus cause they knew different - so Jesus walks in and tells the girl to get up and she does -- I think its time I get up from the dead -- touch Jesus cloak -- let him cast out my demons -- and go tell the story of how Jesus saves -- all people can have this healing -- just have faith and believe and thank God for his grace in Jesus. In summary - Jesus saves and gives life to the dead -- that includes me.
Genesis 13-14 - So Abram and Sarai go to the Southern Desert with Lot - but they had many sheep - so Abram and Lot decide to divide up and they do - So all these kings decide to have war with each other -- Lot gets caught up in the whole mess and is captured and all his possessions taken - Abram found out about this and set up a fight against these kings- attacked and took Lot and all his stuff back -- Well after Abram got back all the other kings met him and told Abram how great he was- one of them was a priest of God and blessed Abram- Abram gave this king a tenth of everything and they praised God and lived in peace together.- hmm - there’s an interesting note - a tenth is considered a kings share - kinda like tithing-- then the separation thing again - God separate Lot and Abram - Lot goes his own selfish way - towards people and the city of Sodom -- Abram sets up and altar to God and worships God -- Lot goes off to his selfish ways- Abram continues on with God in faith -- but Lot is saved - God comes to Lot through Abram and saves him from captivity -- I’m captive to sin also - God comes to me in Jesus and saves me -- the gap and separation of sin is closed by God coming to me -- not me going to God - or me going to something I think will save me like cities and Sodom - and people -- I am only saved through God’s movement towards me in Jesus.
Psalm 7 - God is my protector - God is my shield - interesting -- verse 9b reads literally, “Searcher of heart and kidneys,� a reference to the seat of reason and emotions -- it reminds me of how they used to look at internal organs to decide what God was telling them to do -- I guess it means that God knows everything there is to know about each of us- hey! -- maybe next week when they suck out my gall bladder - God will tell the doctors a message!
For Love Towards Others- (one of Luther’s prayers)
Dear Father in heaven, for the sake of your dear Son Jesus Christ grant us your Holy Spirit, that we may be true learners of Christ, and therefore acquire a heart with a never-ceasing fountain of love. Amen
Focus on the Light that comes down to me; that one and only light of Christ - then turn the lights on through me in this dark world in which I live. Let the Light that comes down light up in me and my world. Here and now.
Speak well of your neighbor and explain his actions in the kindest way.
Isaiah 42.1-9 - God gave Jesus and me as his servant - God created all - he gave breath to me and his Spirit in baptism - he called me- to takes my hand and leads me - he gives me a promise and a blessing - and sends me to open the eyes of the blind that God is God and saves everyone through the grace of Jesus - we can now sing to God and praise him with all creation!
Philippians 2.1-11 - Don’t be selfish - love others just as Christ has shown us - be humble and love others
Psalm 4 - hear my prayer - trust in God
Prayer- Jesus forgive me - cast out my demons - unite me in your call to spread the story of how you have saved me - let me tell others of your great love - and the love you have for all people - how you have saved people throughout all time - when captured in battles - when separated and when we wander off in our own selfish desires and feelings of becoming our own gods - you brings us back - you come to us and save us - send me out this day as your servant - to show your light to the world and to praise you along with all creation for what you have done -- all glory is yours -- send me out to love others just as you have loved me. I put all my trust and hope in you. Take my hand this day and lead and guide me. --- Amen

No comments: