Monday, January 31, 2005

January 31st Reflection

Monday 1/31/2005
Luke 22.29-71 - The plan continues - but this time Jesus goes to pray- do I have to carry this plan out? - take it away - it’s reassuring to see the human side of Jesus too -- but he does carry the plan out - thankfully for me and the rest of the people - Judas greets Jesus in the garden and betrays him with a kiss -- and then there is that sword again - one of the disciple’s cuts the ear off of a servant -- Jesus heals again - even here Jesus is healing - healing in so many ways at so many levels - Peter denies that he knows Jesus and realizes it after the fact - how many times have I done this -- then realize in prayer or confession that yea - I have been denying Jesus -- thanks for the act of forgiveness where daily my sin can be drowned - Jesus is questioned - just looking for some way to get rid of Jesus - anyway they can- Lord forgive me and us humans for our actions-- in the garden - I just realized -there is those two crowds again - one crowd of life and one crowd of death -
Genesis 40 - So Joseph has a couple of buddies in prison who have dreams - one a cook the other personal servant -- he interpreted the dreams but the outcomes were opposites -- the servant would be restored and the cook would be killed - and that’s what happened to them - Joseph asked the servant to remember him in prison when he was free again.- I see Jesus in this passage - the servant or cupbearer lifting up the blood of Christ to the King - life giving blood of Christ and salvation - the cook bringing the bread and body of Christ which humans will kill and sacrifice on a cross - my act of killing Christ -- or even Jesus act of giving his body in death for my sin - I like that better -- death and life - that constant battle -- good and evil - that constant battle - sin and forgiveness - that constant battle -- be with me in the battle - for only you can win the battle and I need Jesus help
Psalm 31 - I come to you- protect me and don’t let me be ashamed - it’s ok to know I can’t do it on my own - Lead me- guide me - keep me safe - I trust you - Into your hand I commit my spirit - there is the hand theme again - Your are faithful, and I trust you because you rescued me.
God has simply told us how to respond to his saving grace - do justice- love kindness- walk humbly with God
Walk in the crowds of death and life and see the gift of life in those who follow Jesus
See and feel the pain of that broken bread and body of Christ - taste and be filled with that wine and blood shed for me for the forgiveness of sin - don’t ever forget it!
Psalm 84 - How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD of hosts! - my heart and my flesh sing for joy to God - my soul longs and faints to be in that room - you make me happy- you hear my prayer- look at my face- happy is everyone who trusts in God
Ephesians 6.10-18 - Be strong in the Lord - put on the armor of God and resist sin - be truthful - be righteous - proclaim the gospel of peace- be faithful - know you are saved by Jesus - pray- keep alert- persevere - God is with me
Psalm 150 - Praise God in everything- Let everything that breathes and even that doesn’t praise God
Prayer- Jesus - you gave yourself up to that plan for me - you gave yourself up in that prayer for me - you let the world persecuted you and punish you for me - you feel the pain I inflict on you yet you still love me and forgive me - forgive me I pray for the sins I commit - turn me around and show me the path I should travel - guide me and teach me and speak your word of truth in my ear - I see and feel the emotion of your body and blood - the wine and bread - even in stories I have never noticed your presence before - there you are - like a surprise you appear again and again - appear in me today - work through me today - do your will through me today- and when I’m weak, clothe me with the protection I need of truthfulness, righteousness, the gospel of peace, faithfulness and the knowledge and power of your salvation. Send me out this week and hear my praise all day long for you and your glory -- You are God! -- Amen

No comments: