Thursday, January 13, 2005

January 13th Reflection

Thursday 1/13/2005
Luke 11.29-54 - So the people of Jesus day had Jesus to listen to and still didn’t turn from their sins - Jesus said this was worse - much worse that when the people of Ninevah listened to Jonah and repented -- yet these people have Jesus the Savior talking to them -- and I today have this Word here in front of me -- I must listen - repent - and turn to God for salvation - listen - listen - read - read - understand! -- “Be sure your light isn’t darkness.� -- reminds me of the baptismal candle -- make sure you take that candle - the light of Jesus love out into the world and display it boldly and proudly so others can see Jesus light through me and know that the light of Jesus is there - available and given to all who will receive it! -- Jesus lets the Pharisees and Teachers have it-- they were acting all high and mighty but not living it - not cleaning up on the inside- being phony about it all -- I need to really think about my sin - see it - smell it- repent and ask forgiveness- and be eternally thankful for the gift of grace God has given me through Jesus life, death and resurrection. -- It’s a huge-huge thing - and I gotta make sure I‘m clean throughout-way deep inside where the love of Jesus resides-- and not something to take and just be nicey nicey good little Christian boy about!- cause then I’m not different than the Pharisees Jesus was talking to.
Genesis 20 - Abraham has a real hang-up with fearing rulers -- here he tells everyone in Gerar that Sarah is his sister again - so King Abimelech has Sarah and God spoke to the king in a dream and kept him from sleeping with Sarah -- well this kinda ticked the king off -- he sent Sarah back -- Abraham was stretching the truth on the whole deal cause Sarah was his half-sister -- same father-different mothers-- I’m still not sure how a feel about all that -- but maybe the choices were pretty limited since they were a wandering people as a family -- so I guess -- what are you going to do?? -- half-sister it is!! -- So Abimelech gave Abraham a bunch of stuff and sent him off- promising to Abraham some land he could use. --You know Abraham almost really fouled things up here - if Abimelech would have slept with Sarah and she had his child -- then what of Abraham’s promised child -- it would put a wrinkle in the whole thing -- but God pulls it our for Abraham - pulls Abraham out of the soup -- and reveals in a dream to the king who Sarah really is -- God saves me from my crappy messes all the time!
Psalm 13 - God-- make my eyes sparkle again! -- I trust your love and feel like celebrating because of you. You are good to me and I will sing about you!
Dear God, I am your creature. You have sent me a cross and suffering, saying to me: Suffer a little for my sake and I will reward you well. Dear God, because it is your will I will gladly suffer. Amen
God makes me special. Through my baptism I am called to ministry in his kingdom. God is proud of me and sends me out with his message of love and salvation.
God created me and takes care of me - though I do not deserve it - God does it anyway and I thank him!
Isaiah 49.1-7 - God called me before I was born - I am his servant - I am to let Jesus light shine to all the nations -- God chose me -- now do it!
Philippians 4.14-23 - You have sent me a fragrant offering - of love - and it’s pleasing to God
Psalm 27 - Jesus is my light and salvation - I need not fear - “One thing I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple.� - Wait for God and be strong
Prayer- Jesus - you come to me today - you come to my door and tell me - hey - listen to me - I’m the real deal - I’m the one you are looking for - but guess what - I have come to you - and I want you to come with me - come outside your house there and play - let’s go out to those high and mighty and talk some plain language to them - let’s go out and show the world that turning from sin isn’t all that hard - cause Jesus comes to the world - Jesus did all the hard stuff- Jesus died on the cross for me and the world and rescued us from the punishment that we all deserved -- now I must run out and play - I must tell all that I see how Jesus love and saving grace is available to all - for nothing but a believing heart - I want to give myself to Jesus - to serve in his kingdom - cause he did all the hard stuff - he did the hard stuff so now I can play with him and friends - run and laugh and return thanks and serve in joy and happiness- hmmm-- Jesus took my crappiness and has turned it into happiness - He took my lies and my sin and straightened the whole thing out for me -- he became that wonderful fragrance of everlasting life for me - he let me smell his wonderful fragrance of love so that I could spread it throughout my world - to those I reach today - now - hey Jesus and you other guys -- let’s go play then we’ll go over to Jesus house for a while and stay and pray and sing and have a blast! -- How about it? --- Amen

No comments: