Wednesday, January 26, 2005

January 26th Reflections

Wednesday 1/26/2005
Luke 19.28-48 - Jesus told his disciples to take a donkey -- and when asked by the owner what they were doing just tell the owner that the Lord needs it -- and that’s what happened - seems pretty strange to me that the owner wouldn’t object - especially if he didn’t know who they meant by Lord -- anyway - Jesus rides the donkey into Jerusalem and all his disciples praise him because of all the healing Jesus had done and the miracles they had heard of - the Pharisees didn’t think all this was right - but - Jesus told them that if these people didn’t shout that the stones would start shouting -- I want to be one of those stones- I can be - cause I wasn’t present then - Jesus tells the people that Jerusalem will be attacked and destroyed because they didn’t see that God had come to save them - then he goes into the temple and upsets everyone because they were buying and selling and it should be a place of worship - each day Jesus taught in the temple- the Jewish leaders are not liking all this and begin to plot against Jesus
Genesis 34 - So Jacob and Leah’s daughter Dinah wondered off to be with some of the foreign men in the land they were staying - met a guy named Shechem - Shechem really like Dinah - he grabbed her and had sex with her -- the Bible calls it rape - but it kind of sounds like Dinah consented to me - anyway - Shechem asks his dad Haman if he will go to Jacob and get Dinah for his wife- they all talk and agree if all the men in the town get circumcised then it will be ok - so Shechem and Haman go back to town and everyone agrees and gets circumcised. While the men were weak from the circumcisions - Jacobs sons come into town and kill all the men - take all the women and everything for themselves in revenge of the rape of their sister Dinah -- now Jacob is mad and afraid that the people in the land where he is staying will unite and kill his family. Sounds like they all were pretty rotten to me.
Psalm 26 - Trust God without doubting
Jesus-Thank you for your saving acts of forgiveness, healing and salvation. Thanks for showing your love.
I am certain God will hear my prayers and they will please him.
Psalm 67 - make your face shine upon me - that you way may be known in my world - I praise you and sing for joy -guide me today
Ephesians 2.13-22 - God came to me - one far off - one different from the rest and saved me just as he saved his chosen - through Jesus blood and makes all of us one in his blood
Psalm 112 -Fear God and be happy
Prayer - Jesus you come to me sometimes in mysterious ways - but I must be your disciple - I must give you what I have and follow the path of that donkey into service and love in your kingdom - even if I need to face death - I must follow you - I must not be selfish in any way but give my life to you - lead me and guide me - lead me in relationship to those who are different - who are not Christian - help me to reach out to them in a way that I don’t take revenge but respond in forgiving love and understanding and correction - lead me and use my voice to give your voice of grace and love in our fallen world - let your face shine through me and beyond my sin that others may see you in me and see you clearly and see how it is all about you not me- forgive my sin and let me be happy - for you have saved me and given me life. Amen

No comments: