Tuesday, January 04, 2005

January 4th Reflections

Tuesday 1/4/2005
Luke 7.1-17 - Jesus heals the Army Officer’s servant - I like this officer - he has faith in Jesus - he also has faith in all his soldiers - cause when he tells them to do something he knows it will get done - we should most importantly have faith in Jesus - but we can also trust each other - yea - we will be disappointed a few times- but as we place more and more faith in each other- I think that the response will grow in love for each other and in turn we will also be more faithful to each other -- and to God-- then Jesus sees some people carrying a body of a widow’s son - he feels for this lady - Jesus raises the son from the dead-- I like how Jesus feels for me and others - he just doesn’t act nice - he feels the pain and understands
Genesis 8-10 - God made a wind blow and the waters started to go down -- there is baptism again - the wind - ruah - the breath of God -this is just like the creation story all over again- the Spirit blows in my life just as I begin to come out of the waters that have buried my sin - God gives me his breath - his Spirit- his life and my call - God stopped up the places that the water had been gushing up from the earth - God forgives my sin - stops me in my tracks - gets in my face and changes me - then after baptism we begin to grow - we begin to test the wings of the dove - the Spirit - we mature in Christ - we venture out into our new world to proclaim Jesus saving grace and before you know it - we produce fruit - we return to God with a twig of life - maybe even from that tree of life- we start to understand Jesus saving grace - and after this God fulfills his promise - he gives us a rainbow of hope and everlasting life through his salvation of us - God blesses us- puts us in control - trusts us to love him and worship only him - teaches us to love each other just as God loves us - not to kill or hate each other - the rainbow of promise that God is all about life- God won’t destroy life with water -- but now he brings and freely gives life with water - thanks be to God! - So - back to Noah - he gets drunk and lies around naked - ham- Noah’s youngest son went into Noah’s tent and saw Noah naked - so Ham doesn’t’ cover Noah up but tells his brothers and they cover Noah up - why didn’t Ham cover Noah up - was he bringing Noah shame by telling everyone else that his dad was drunk- you know - like come and see what I found- my dad isn’t so great after all - sometimes I feel like Noah with my kids - you want to be a good example - but you still do stupid crap to ruin that idea- well I guess Noah caught on to this and was ticked at Ham - and yelled at him with a poem of all things! -- somehow I think they dressed this little scene up a little-- I don’t think I would yell at my kids with a poem - Noah dies - then we go into a list of descendents and a few little stories about a person here and there. - So back to the baptism theme- before baptism I am like Adam - I sin and am born into sin - after baptism I am like Noah -- I still sin - but I also know God and God has chosen me and given me a promise and a calling and work to do.
Psalm 4 - God is my God and protector and answers my prayers - God sets me free- be faithful - God chooses you - tremble and turn from sin - search your heart - God brings happiness and comfort
Focus on the Light that comes down to me; that one and only light of Christ - then turn the lights on through me in this dark world in which I live. Let the Light that comes down light up in me and my world. Here and now.
Always help your neighbor - in any way
Psalm 29 - Give glory to God - Worship him - the voice of God is over the waters- reminds me of the voice at Jesus baptism - listen for God’s voice - it is powerful and full of majesty - God sits enthroned over the flood - God defeats the sin and drowns it in life giving water- then gives strength to us through his Spirit - gives us gifts - calls and sends us out to love others as he loved us
Philemon 18-25 - the grace of Jesus be with your spirit
Psalm 100 - make a joyful noise to God-- laugh and be happy! - worship God in gladness- sing! - know that God is God! - he made us- praise and give thanks to God - bless his name- God is good and his steadfast love lasts forever and he is always faithful
Prayer - Jesus -you reach out to me - I must respond in faith - what else can I do - you raise me from the dead just like that child - the child I am - the sinful Adam - you raise me - you bring me up out of the waters- oh how you use water to get the point across - the water crossed by the Chosen ones - several time - Sea of Reeds - the Jordan - Peter in the water - fisherman casting nets into the water and the water at my baptism - the floods of water - that life giving water that brings death to sin and renewal and new life - Adam changed to Noah - a new beginning - a new life - a calling in you - gifts given and sent out into the world to proclaim all your glory -- singing loudly and praising with all my might - send me out this day. --- Amen

No comments: