Thursday, January 27, 2005

January 27th Reflections

Thursday 1/27/2005
Luke 20.1-26 - A question came up about how Jesus had authority to do what he was doing - Jesus turned it around and asked the Jewish leaders -- who gave John the authority to baptize? - well 0- they knew if they said it was God then Jesus would as why they didn’t believe and if they said it was from man the people would be upset because they think John is a prophet -- so they said they didn’t know - Jesus told them that since they won’t say then he wont toll them who gave him the right to do what he is doing -- then Jesus told a parable about a vineyard and the servants there - the owner of the vineyard sent several people to collect his share of the harvest but the servants kept throwing these people out - finally the owner sent his own son and the people threw even him out figuring that if they did eventually they would inherit the vineyard - but they didn’t realize that someday the owner of the vineyard would come and get rid of those servants- sometimes I sin and become selfish with the gifts God has given me and instead of giving to God I keep them for myself and throw out Jesus -- forgive me -- let me give all back to you - then there was a question about paying taxes-- Jesus looked at a coin and told the people to give to the government what belonged to the government and to God what belongs to God -- give back to God and don’t be selfish
Genesis 35-36 - Jacob was told by God to go to Bethel - so he did - Rebekah’s personal servant Deborah died so they buried her under an oak tree and called it Weeping Oak - God again tells Jacob that he has given him a new name - Israel - and blesses Israel - Rachel died giving birth to Benjamin - she died in Ephrath or Bethlehem and was buried there- about this time Jacobs oldest son Reuben slept with Bilhah - one of the servant wives of Jacob - uh-oh! - Then Isaac dies and is buried -- then we go into Esau’s family - he married three Canaanite women - had five sons - Esau made home in Seir - while in Seir Esau had three wives-- so it came down to Esau’s descendants became known as Edom
Psalm 27 - God is the Light that will keep you safe - let me live in your house all my life and let me pray in your temple-in times of trouble you will hide me in your tent (ur?) - listen to my prayers and answer them - my heart tells me to pray and I am eager to see your face - I am your servant and you have helped me - teach me to follow you - lead me on your path - trust in God!
Jesus-Thank you for your saving acts of forgiveness, healing and salvation. Thanks for showing your love.
Baptism is God’s word - water and God’s command to Go!
Psalm 15 - Walk blamelessly and do right - speak truth from the heart- don’t slander - don’t do evil to friends - stand by your oath even to hurt - be steady and trust in God
Ephesians 3.10-21 - Grow - learn and be rooted and grounded in love - try to learn the breadth and length and height and depth , and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. - Give Jesus all the glory
Psalm 33.12-22 - I’m happy because of God - fear God - put my trust and hope in God - wait for God and love God
Prayer- Jesus - you warn me - you talk to me - yet I must repent and turn back to you - forgive me - forgive my selfish desires and ways -- for you are God and do God’s will - teach me today - lead me today - guide me today - send me today - show me where you want me to go - send me where you want me to go - tell me what to say - teach me what to think - I put all my trust in you - for you are the Son - you are the gift - all is yours - use me as you wish - for you are that owners son that I may never reject you - it’s not about me having the vineyard - it’s about honor and praise and glory to you - I’m here to please you - I’m here to be your servant and I pray that you would allow me to serve in your kingdom - teach me your love - the height-width-depth and multi dimension of your love - dimensions beyond my understanding - show me that love and teach me how to express it - to give it and to return it to you and to your children here in my world --all happiness resides in and is because of you. -- Amen

No comments: