Tuesday, January 25, 2005

January 25th Reflection

Tuesday 1/25/2005
Luke 19.1-27- Zacchaeus-a short guy - climbed up a tree so he could see Jesus - Jesus called him down and ate at his house- well Zack was a tax collector and took too much money from people- he was a sinner- the people couldn’t understand why Jesus was fooling with this type of people - but Zachhaeus repented and turned to Jesus - Jesus forgave him and told everyone that the lost are the ones he as come to save and look for -- So Jesus tells a story about a prince in a foreign country to be crowned and then to return - but before he left he called ten servants together and gave them some money - he told them to take the money and use it to earn more until he returns - when the prince got back - two of them did just that - the prince gave them cities to rule - one just kept the money safe- this made the prince mad and he gave this money to one of the others that made something -- God gives gifts - I need to risk investing my gifts in this world for a return for God -- the gift isn’t mine - it is God’s - I need to use what God gives me for God - not keep it safe - but use it for God and for his kingdom -- the return will be great.
Genesis 32-22 - God’s angels meet Jacob- it’s nice to hear about angels- I think we tend to forget about them and not think they are real - Jacob was about to meet Esau - he was afraid of Esau - Jacob sent messengers ahead to talk to Esau - Esau sent four hundred men back in reply - Jacob was afraid these men were sent to attack him - so Jacob sends waves of gifts to greet Esau ahead of his arrival - so that night Jacob wrestles with God -- God wounds Jacobs hip and renames Jacob to Israel -- I wonder if this was Jesus - Jacob came face to face with his fears- Jacob was forced to turn his fear over to God because now Jacob knew that he depended completely on God for safety - and God blessed him - later that day Jacob met Esau- it was a loving reunion - hugging and kissing and crying - Jacob related seeing the face of Esau to seeing the face of God -- I think that’s how forgiveness is - the true happiness is - even with each other - in forgiveness we can see the face of God in each other - forgive each other
Psalm 25 - I offer my heart to God - I trust God - show me your paths and teach me to follow - forgive my sins- I know you will save me
Jesus-Thank you for your saving acts of forgiveness, healing and salvation. Thanks for showing your love.
Deliver me from evil to body and soul
Luke 21.10-19 - You will be persecuted for Christ -- am I still willing to proclaim Jesus as my savior? -- Yes!
Ephesians 2.8-10 - “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God-not the result of works, so that no one my boast. For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.�-- no interpretation needed!
Psalm 111 - Praise God and give him thanks with my whole heart - the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom
Prayer- Jesus - you call me out - you call me down and then you come to me - you join me in the depths of my soul for dinner - you feed me your bread and wine- your body and blood and then send me out - I confess my sin to you and look to you for forgiveness- I wrestle with sin every day - but you graciously forgive me and send me out to meet the fears I have and save me from those fears - in my sin you created a grand reunion with you - I see your face in the love of forgiven friends and neighbors -I see your face in the love of the gifts you shower upon me and you freely deliver me from evil - you freely give me your grace- not in my works but only in your works am I saved - you save me - you come to me -- not by my works - so I can’t boast - it’s all about you - it’s not about me- now send me to do those works that you prepared for me to do so long ago - I’m ready -- thanks for this new life of grace and love. Amen.

No comments: