Wednesday, January 12, 2005

January 12th Reflection

Wednesday 1/12/2005
Luke 11.1-28 - It looks like to me that the disciples were watching Jesus do all this praying stuff- like he would stay up all night - and they were probably wondering - well -what’s all that about? -- I can sorta see why -- it doesn’t seem like you hear that much about people praying in the Old Testament - so that makes you wonder - was this praying thing a Jesus thing? - if people weren’t used to it -- then it’s no wonder that the disciples would be curious - the more I think about it now - the more curious it is making me - even now -- so the disciples ask Jesus -- hey! -- how do you do that prayer thing -- then Jesus gives them the Lord’s Prayer -- well for today that’s all fine and dandy -- but I think many many people miss the point today -- they took the Lord’s Prayer and prettified it and everyone memorized it and now every Sunday there are all these people that stand in church and recite the Lord’s Prayer without even a thought about what they are even saying -- even people who don’t go to church know the Lord’s Prayer and mumble out the words but don’t have a clue as to what they are saying or why they are even saying it -- I don’t think that’s what Jesus intended when he gave those disciples the Lord’s Prayer -- I think Jesus wants us to learn to pray more than to just teach us a prayer -- and that’s what people are missing today - many take the easy way out -- they just learn a prayer -- and maybe that’s a good way to start - but you can’t get stuck there the rest of your life -- like at “Now I lay me down to sleep� -- or “Come Lord Jesus be our guest� -- you have to move on and learn how to pray -- so take the Lord’s Prayer and look at what is said and how to do it rather than memorizing words -- then go from there - prayer is so much more than what we tend to do today --then Jesus tells a story of a guy that visit’s a friend and needs some food to entertain a guest -- guests back then were a big deal and it was expected that you show your guest honor and treat them well -- well maybe your friend says no at first - the point is to be persistent - keep on asking - reminds me of a Gary Smalley tape - ask-search-knock -- you are really blessed if you hear and obey God’s message

Genesis 19 - This chapter disgusts me on many levels -- So a couple of angels come to Sodom -- visit with Lot - the angels wanted to stay in the city square- but Lot talked them into staying with him- Lot fed them and then every man in Sodom came and stood outside Lot’s house -- every man? -- they all wanted to have sex with two angels? - so Lot offers up his daughters -- and like it’s some bonus -- tells them they are virgins! - that these men can do what they want with them -- but don’t harm his guests! -- this whole thing is crazy!!! -- all these people including Lot really irritate me! -- the only ones who don’t are the daughters - even the angels -- why aren’t they saying something now? - aren’t they God’s messengers? -- well it was not time for the angels to talk - it was time for them to act -- so they struck all those men blind so none of them could even find the door - then told Lot to gather up his family and stuff and “get the hell out of Dodge� -- or Sodom really - seems like that is a common message in the Bible -- well not exactly in those words- Well some of Lot’s family thought he was joking about getting out and laughed at him - so the next morning comes and Lot is still goofing off - the angels tell him again to get out -- Lot stands there like some idiot - the angels finally take him by the hand and drag him outside the city and tell Lot, his wife and two daughters to run!- Lot’s pissing me off again here -- I can hear this whining -- can’t we just run to this nearby town? -- so the angels tell him- ok - get going - that’s ok -- at least the angels probably thought - well we got Lot to do a little something for himself -- I’m not so sure Lot deserved to be saved! - so Lot’s wife looks back - that’s enough of that -- they were told over and over just to get out and she still had to look back at Sodom being destroyed- so Lot’s wife turns into a block of salt -- like the blockhead she is - ok - so I was hard on Lot - but sometimes I’m like Lot - God gives a message - I don’t want to hear it - I don’t want to do it - so I put it off - I fool around with the message - I don’t act on it - I goof around with it -- but in many cases - God loves me enough to send angels to get me up off my butt and move -- I need forgiveness for times I get like that - but at some point enough is enough -- why do I keep looking back at Sodom - at how it used to be -- longing for some direction other that the direction God wants me to run -- I need to recognize when it’s time to listen to God and when it’s time to run like hell and do his work in his kingdom -- that’s about what Lot was doing -- running like hell - away from hell - away from his old life of sin - to a new life with God -- it’s time to run like hell! -- So now Lot was afraid to stay in Zoar - so he goes to live in a cave -- what a provider Lot is! - so more disgusting stuff-- so Lot’s daughters are living in a cave -- well where are the men? -- it’s not right to leave these young women so separated with the world that their lust build up -- so they get their dad drunk and have sex with him! -and through Lot and his daughter’s children come the Moabites and the Ammonites. -- What a disgusting chapter in the Bible!

Psalm 12 - God will protect me from people who strut around thinking they are something and mistreat others.

God makes me special. Through my baptism I am called to ministry in his kingdom. God is proud of me and sends me out with his message of love and salvation.

I believe in Father-Creator-Son-Creator-Spirit-Creator-Life

Psalm 40.1-12 - Wait on God - he will pull you out of the pit and put your feet on Rock - the Rock will make you secure- then you will praise God and sing - people will see all this - they will see what God has done for you and they will believe in God and trust God - and we all will be happy - we will multiply - and tell more and more people of God’s wondrous deed of love through Jesus graceful-giving act of salvation- and we won’t sacrifice stuff and animals to God but will gladly give ourselves and our lives in service and love to Him for all God has done for us - and Jesus will dwell within my heart- but his saving grace will not hide in our heart but will burst forth in joy to the world proudly proclaimed through me and no evil will overtake God

Philippians 4.10-13 - Learn the secret of being hungry, being well fed, feeling pain, feeling joy -- in all these things rejoice in God -- he will strengthen and take care of me

Ecclesiastes 3.1-8 - there is a time for everything -- I feel like singing!

Prayer- Jesus - my friend - you teach me how to pray - you set an example before me- you show me how deep prayer can be - how to talk to God - how to feel the closeness of God - how to listen - but also I need to pray to know when it is time to answer the door - to go out and run - to act on the things you have given me to do - to know what time it is - to know that there is a time for everything under the Son - and to trust in you - to not look back - but to look forward to they way you point me - to not look back at the evil I desire but to look in your direction and focus on you and take your hand as you sometimes drag me out of that sinful city I live in - but then I gotta run on my own - and I gotta let you live in me - I gotta give my life to you - give my mouth to you - give myself to others so that they can see all that you have done for me - so I can run out and tell all about your saving grace - show me today the times for me to do this - show me today the times I need to listen - show me the times I need to keep my big mouth shut - show me the time I need to open my big mouth and let your Word burst forth - I hear your knock at the door - It’s time to go out and play -- hey! - let’s run!! -- Amen

No comments: