Saturday, November 04, 2006

November 4th Daily Word and Visions from God

1 Timothy 5.21-6.21-Tell those rich in this world's wealth to quit being so full of themselves and so obsessed with money, which is here today and gone tomorrow. Tell them to go after God, who piles on all the riches we could ever manage--to do good, to be rich in helping others, to be extravagantly generous. If they do that, they'll build a treasury that will last, gaining life that is truly life.
Jeremiah 3-4-You must get rid of your stinking sin paraphernalia and not wander away from me anymore.
Psalm 120-They smile so sweetly but lie through their teeth.
Mark 12.28-34-Teacher, you are certainly right to say there is only one God. It is also true that we must love God with all our heart, mind, and strength, and that we must love others as much as we love ourselves.
---
An old rusty chain. Intended I presume to keep vehicles from driving into a field; at the same time intended to allow mowing equipment into the field as needed. An old rusty chain of a barrier. More of a symbol of "no passage" that an actual deterrent. God's guidance and instruction is given in this way many times it seems to me. A deterrent. I still sin. I still put something besides God first from time to time even when God's deterrent tells me otherwise. Who hasn't at some point in time sweetly smiled and lied through their teeth? I know I have. Who hasn't fell to some stinking sin paraphernalia and wandered away from God? I know I have. But God still instructs and guides me. Offers deterrents through his Word. Offers the voice of his deterrents through some rusty chains of friends and family. Even through strangers, I may hear of his deterrent and ignore it. And then at some point it finally sinks in---I hear the message and voice of Jesus. I listen to the Teacher and finally get it. I must love God with all my heart, mind and strength and love others as much as I love myself. I smell the stench of my sin and separation from God and from his love and confess. Confess and beg forgiveness of my selfish, self-saving desires. God forgives and moves the rusty chain aside. The deterrent removed, I laugh and play in the field of His Kingdom released from that rusty chain pointing out my sin. A rusty chain to deter me from sin. Listen to the Teachers guidance and instruction. Love him with all I've got. Love my neighbor as well. And go after God, the only one who can release me from sin. Thanks be to God!
---
Lord, today I listen to your Word of guidance and instruction. I'm sent to love you and my neighbor. ---Amen

No comments: