Sunday, November 05, 2006

November 5th Daily Word and Visions from God

2 Timothy 1-I miss you a lot, especially when I remember that last tearful good-bye, and I look forward to a joy-packed reunion. That precious memory triggers another: your honest faith--and what a rich faith it is, handed down from your grandmother Lois to your mother Eunice, and now to you! And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed--keep that ablaze! God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible.
Jeremiah 5-6-"I've got something to say. Is anybody listening?"
Psalm 121-He guards you when you leave and when you return, he guards you now, he guards you always.
John 11.32-44-The man who had been dead came out.
---
A microphone and a speaker. Electronic items that enable me to talk and listen to others. Sometimes I just listen. Messages from people who are not physically present with me. Friends that are apart from me. Life goes on even when we are separated from others. But there is a difference from physical separation and spiritual separation. Paul was physically separated from Timothy. But he was spiritually present. Maybe not through microphones and speakers but through letters; a message from Paul was sent to Timothy. Jesus is spiritually present with me. And through friends and angels God sends, I think sometimes Jesus is physically present with me from time to time. Maybe at some point Jesus is present in me for someone else. My ham radio reminds me of a movie I saw a few years ago when a man heard his deceased dad on the radio frequencies. The son was permitted to talk to his dad. It reminds me today of All Saints Day. When we remember those who have gone before us. I will remember especially my Dad and others too. When I kneel at the Communion Rail I will feel the presence of All the Saints, past and present and yes even future, ones not even born yet. That is the power of God. A God who gives not only gifts for the present, but spiritual gifts for the past and future along with the present. Gifts to be put to use for Him in His Kingdom. Gifts that All the Saints have been given and use day after day. No, for those I'm separated from, I didn't die and neither did you. Life goes on with the gifts of God active in and through the separation. We continue our work together physically and spiritually. In Lazarus, Jesus showed that the dead will rise again. Through Jesus death and resurrection he shows the way of his gracious salvation. In Jesus sacrifice for my sin and punishment of death he has freed me to live eternally. Eternal Life that has already begun and will never end. In my baptism, God graciously called me His own to live eternally with Him in His Kingdom. Through the physical actions of Jesus God has something to say to all of us. Is anybody listening? Thanks be to God that this separation from friends is not reality. Eternal Life with the Saints together in Jesus Christ is the reality!
---
Lord, I give you thanks for this gracious union with yourself and all the saints you have blessed me with this day. Yea; I miss some people, but I know you have taken care of all that and we are still united in your Spirit. ---Amen

No comments: