Thursday, February 10, 2005

February 10th Reflection

Thursday 2/10/2005
Hebrews 7 - this whole chapter is about the great high priest Melchizedek who blessed Abraham and how Jesus is our everlasting high priest. There was a problem with considering Jesus the high priest - He was from the tribe of Judah - not Levi -- so it was the same with Melchizedek -- he wasn’t from the tribe of Levi either - But Abraham validated Melchizedek’s priesthood by giving him a tenth of what he had -- so with this action Melchizedek was high priest - at least for Abraham and we know how important he is to the Jewish faith -- so Melchizedek was appointed - so to God appointed Jesus- giving us a better promise from God - and making Jesus our perfect high priest forever. -- whew!- a bunch of hairy logic I think!
Exodus 3-4 - So Moses stumbles on a burning bush which happens to have the word of God in it - a conversation with God takes place - the calling of Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt - Moses resists but finally goes with the call - It’s a decision to make - so Moses talks to Jethro and leaves the area going back to Egypt with God -- the strangest part of this passage to me is 4.24-26 -- while Moses is on his way back - the LORD was about to kill him - huh? - Commentators indicate the LORD or YHWH was put in instead of a demon spirit and adult circumcision was a means to appease this spirit - saving the bridegroom -- it is of value because it points out the jungle of primitive superstitions out of which the religion of YHWH developed --the best explanation I saw was that God was upset with Moses since his son wasn’t circumcised like he should have been and Moses should have known better so Zipporah rescues Moses by circumcising their son and laying the foreskin on Moses penis - like a ritual thing of some sort- all sounds pretty weird to me - but so does circumcision as a sign for God too - but then I have to wonder was Moses even circumcised - he grew up with the Egyptians - did they let him follow his religion? - come to think of it now - Moses sure was a strange selection by God - I’m still not sure I get it. -- Oh well- it’s God’s plan so I guess I don’t have to get it.
Psalm 41 - When sick and/or rejected - know that God is there to rescue and love you.
See the glory of Jesus on the mountain. Listen to him. Change your ways and let Christ’s love ignite his light in you for all the world to see Jesus saving grace.
Return to God -- Yet even now - God is with me -- through it all- I will return to him with all my heart
May I serve and please God with all my thoughts words and deeds.
Psalm 32 - I can be happy because God forgives me - acknowledge my sin to God - he forgives - pray to God - “You are a hiding place for me; you reserve me from trouble; your surround me with glad cries of deliverance.� -- I like that thought! - God will instruct and teach me- steadfast love surrounds those who trust in God - be glad in the LORD and rejoice - shout for joy -- I think this is becoming one of my favorite Psalms
2 Peter 3.3-9 - vs. 8 “But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand year, and a you sand years are like one day.� -- So God is not slow about his return -- just on his time not mine - I need to be patient.
Psalm 90 - you are God -- always - in all time and without time - vs. 4 “For a thousand year in your sight are like yesterday when it is past, or like a watch in the night.� -- “Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, so that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.� -- Well - OK - I like this one too!
Prayer - Lord- sometimes you speak to me in such weird ways! - I don’t understand many times - and then just don’t get it - but big deal - I know I can come to you with anything - look at how you spoke to Moses - in a burning bush -- I don’t know Lord - that’s pretty weird -- but then the whole thing is weird - why do you even bother with me -- your time is so awesome - I’m like a nothing - then I think of all you have done for me - how you have made me special through the grace of your Son - but it’s still all pretty weird - I think I’m beginning to love weird though - thanks for your weird forgiveness - thanks for your weird gift of life - thanks for your weird stories of faith and thanks for loving this weird creature of yours. You make me so happy! -- Amen

No comments: