Tuesday, February 15, 2005

February 15th Reflection

Tuesday 2/15/2005
Hebrews 11.1-21 - We must believe that God is real and that he rewards everyone who searches for him. -- funny kind of reward - he finds us and saves us in our search for him -- great kind of reward - priceless reward - and all because God gives us faith - the author takes us through history of all the people that had faith in God -how God blesses all of them and us - they all die - but they still had faith- they didn’t receive what they had been promised but they were glad to see things from far away and they had faith that the promise would be fulfilled- fill me with this faith - for I know that God’s promise will be fulfilled! God’s promise has already been fulfilled! -- I have faith!
Exodus 13-14 - The Passover celebration - giving the first born to God - giving the first to God - remember what God does for me - remember how God blesses me - remember how God saves me - remember how God suffered and died for me - remember - then God leads the Israelites into the desert - a cloud by day - a fire by night - God protects the people - gets between the Israelites and the Egyptians chasing them -- Moses uses his walking stick to part the waters - the cloud behind - walk across the sea on dry land- notice how that breath of life - that blowing Spirit of God parts the waters and saves the people - blow that breath - that Spirit of life into me today - then the waters come together and God defeats the Egyptians - saves his people -- even though the people have little faith and grumble along the way - God saves them - forgive me for my grumbling and save me!
Proverbs 5 - Be faithful to your wife - be happy with her and don’t have sex with other women- simple and straightforward advice
Return to God -- Yet even now - God is with me -- through it all- I will return to him with all my heart
Struggle with temptation is good. Temptation is based on good things. Rely on the Word and feel the temptation but turn from the sin and face God.
Don’t hurt others
John 2.13-22 - Clean out my temple - run out the sin in my heart and rebuild it in three days -- with the salvation and forgiveness of Jesus
Jeremiah 29.10-14 - For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with home. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you, When you search for me, you will find me; if your seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the LORD,…I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you… --- sound familiar?
Psalm 46 - The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge -- this is the Psalm that inspired Luther to write “A Mighty Fortress� -- sound familiar in other ways too?
Prayer - Lord - thanks for the gift of faith - you build that faith - you give wonderful stories of people of faith - you build that faith - it becomes so easy to have faith when I realize all the blessings you give - the friends you have set in my life - the people of faith you have surrounded me with - as I wander into the desert of my world give me the faith I need- forgive my grumbling and open my eyes to the miracles you set right in front of my face - up close - inside - open my heart to give the love of Christ to the world I venture into today and fill me with the fire of your Spirit of love -- In Jesus name --- Amen

No comments: