Friday, February 18, 2005

February 18th Reflection

Friday 2/18/2005
Hebrews 13 - Here we are told as Christians to take care of each other - don’t fall for the temptations of this world like money or new and strange teachings. Christ was sacrificed outside of the temple - so we too must go outside the temple and offer the gift of life to the world - show them Jesus saving grace - pray for ourselves and others and continually praise God for what he has done - God is a God that is alive and active - not just a religion to think about - Jesus took action - so too must we - we must because we can’t help ourselves - out of the great joy we have in what God has given us - life!
Exodus 18-19 - Hmm! -- Small groups - nothing new! -- Jethro came to visit Moses -- brought Moses two sons to him - so Jethro is watching Moses work - all these people are coming to Moses to have Moses judge all sorts of things -- Jethro being an outsider says hey Mosey baby -- that ain’t no way to do it! -- you are going to wear yourself out and all those people too - you just judge the biggies - set up leaders to do the others ordinary cases -- what you are doing now is too much for one person - you need to rely on the gifts God has given you - all these other capable people to judge in your midst - use them like God wants you to - teach the judges what God wants - show them how to do it and turn them loose - then put them over small groups -- sound familiar? --- vs. 23 - “This is the way God wants it done. You won’t be under nearly as much stress, and everyone else will return home feeling satisfied.� -- Jethro returned home - what a great gift God sent to Jethro - what a great gift God sends to us! -- Next God had Moses meet him on the mountain - God wanted to show the people his presence from the mountain - but the people - none of them except Moses were aloud to approach the mountain -- they weren’t allowed to go up the mountain to God -- no need - years later and even then the message was - God will come from the mountain to the people - travel with the people in cloud and fire - protect the people from harm - provide for all the needs of the people - save the people - God will and does come down the mountain to the people - to me - God came to me in Jesus - up close and personal - inside - God moves to me - I can’t move to God and I should fool myself - only God can save - no movement of my own will save me - only God’s movement of Jesus salvation can save me -- it’s oh so personal and close and wonderful -- Thanks be to God!
Proverbs 8 - “Wisdom� is portrayed as female -- making this very interesting for a male dominated culture - Every honest leader rules with help from “Wisdom� -- “Wisdom� loves everyone who loves her - she is more valuable than gold and silver - search for “Wisdom� -- “Wisdom� was from the beginning - with God - at creation - At the very first, the LORD gave life to “Wisdom“ - before the ocnears or springs of water - before the mountains were formed - before God made the earth “Wisdom“ was born - “Wisdom“ made God happy and was at his side - come to the home of “Wisdom“ each day and follow her advice - you will be happy - listen to her instructions - by finding her you will find life and God will be pleased with you
Struggle with temptation is good. Rely on the Word and feel the temptation but turn from the sin and face God.
I wished him dead - but he gave me the money - is this my sunrise or sunset -- Forgive me Jesus for hanging you on that tree - I wished you dead - thank you Jesus for saving me not with silver or gold but with your precious blood and life- you gave me the money -- you have given me a sunrise and a new life to live this day in praise and service and trust in you -this is my sunrise not by sunset - I will turn to you - Thanks be to God!
Defend your neighbor- speak well of them and explain their actions in the kindest way. -- That’s hard sometimes!
Genesis 12.1-4 - So God told Abram to go -- and Abram went!
John 3.14-17 - God loves all - he sent his Son to give us life and to save us -- nuff said!
Psalm 3 - God answers my cries to him - God takes care of me - God saves me
Prayer - Jesus you come to me - you come to me in all the power that the Israelites saw on that mountain - yet you bring it to me - I can’t come to you - but I depend on your mercy and how you come to me - forgive my sins and receive my praise and thanksgiving - may I serve you in your Kingdom - you save me - give me today your wisdom that I may go out now in your name to those you love and tell them all about you. --Amen

No comments: