Tuesday, February 22, 2005

February 22nd Reflection

Tuesday 2/22/2005
Matthew 4 - Jesus is tempted -- Jesus is led into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit- Sometimes I think we are led into temptation -- not to defeat - but to show that God will win over the temptations of the devil - Jesus answered the temptations of the devil with what the Scriptures have to say -- stresses the importance of study and listening to God’s voice in his Word -- as Jesus begins his ministry - John is put in prison - makes me think of leadership change -- God’s plan is moving into a different phase - leadership changes - different gifts are now needed - Jesus calls disciples and they follow without question- I find the actions of Jesus and the disciples interesting here - regarding commitment to Jesus -- Jesus first approaches the disciples -- God comes to the disciples through and in Jesus- there must have been something - there definitely is something here-- the disciples respond to Jesus call with full commitment - they leave everything - family, job and their old way of life - they give themselves over to following Jesus - what power they must have felt in Jesus -what sense of trust and faith in Jesus they must have felt -- but I think one point here is that it wasn’t the great faith of the disciples that made them respond - it was the awesome power of Jesus that made them commit- it’s all about God - it’s not about how great I am in my commitment to God -God calls me and I can’t help but to respond- Jesus heals and teaches and preaches - key actions of his ministry - it is building - large crowds are coming out to hear and see Jesus- God is active with his people - with all people-- oh - in the bread - Jesus does not produce the bread to satisfy his hunger - but think of the bread he does produce to satisfy the hunger of all the rest of the world -- Jesus does produce the bread of life to save all the rest of the world from sin - he produces the bread of life with his very own body and we take it in throughout our lives.
Exodus 25-27 - God the Great Engineer - an awesome Technical Writer- specific instructions on how to build the tabernacle - how to build all the furnishing and adornments -- God can and is so specific and clear in the actions we are to take- nothing cheap here - Go all out when working for God -- don’t spare any effort. Here again God comes to the people - the people can’t come to God on their own -- and the people respond to God by following detailed instructions -- I think again because they see the awesome power of God in all he has done for them- their commitment to God is because of God not because of their own will. It is a response.
Proverbs 12 - Accept correction-it is wise -- good people have kind thoughts - good people are kind to their animals - Listen to advice - Don’t loose your temper - Ignore insults - don’t lie - Be sensible and don’t tell everything you know - Work hard and you will be a leader
I wished him dead - but he gave me the money - is this my sunrise or sunset -- Forgive me Jesus for hanging you on that tree - I wished you dead - thank you Jesus for saving me not with silver or gold but with your precious blood and life- you gave me the money -- you have given me a sunrise and a new life to live this day in praise and service and trust in you -this is my sunrise not my sunset - I will turn to you - Thanks be to God!
God’s greatest plans are still to come. I may not see the plan but I must respond to the call - take the risk and use the gifts God gives with a promise in my call to serve.
I believe in God!
Isaiah 66.1-2 - God is awesome - be humble - he created all - and tremble at his Word.
Acts 1.6-8 - It’s not for me to know or understand God’s timing -- but it is more than enough for me to receive power from the Holy Spirit and to witness in my world
Psalm 104.1-9, 19-24 - God is awesome in his creation - his creation of life and this gift of life
Prayer - Lord - you are an awesome creator- just a look around the room - just a peek outside - just to stare up into the sky - just to look down on the earth - you have shown miracles of life everywhere - forgive me when I ignore your power and your majesty - forgive me when I become complacent with the life you have given me - forgive me when I don’t act or respond in love to you and others - forgive me when I neglect your call -- but I ask today the you would lead me - I see how you move into my being - I see how you give specific direction to follow - I see how you move to me - lead me as I respond to your grace - your power - your life - what else can I do - I love you - and thank you for the life you gave to me -- and especially the life you gave for me. -- Amen

No comments: