Monday, February 21, 2005

February 21st Reflection

Monday 2/21/2005
Matthew 3 - John the Baptist was a peculiar person with a powerful ministry - turn back to God - repent - be baptized- let God enter your life - let God call you - see - the Messiah is coming - get ready -- be sorry for your sins - Don’t be phony or put all your trust in your heritage -- God can turn stones into children of Abraham -- Abraham and faith - have faith in God and be one of those stones that are children of God - chosen special and selected for God’s ministry - John baptized Jesus because that’s what God wanted - faith to do what doesn’t make sense
Exodus 24 - Moses, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu and seventy of Israel’s leaders ascend the mountain to worship God -- Moses sets up an altar and uses the blood of sacrificed animals to sprinkle the altar - Sacrificial blood - Jesus is here again in the OT - his blood was shed for me and spread - his blood is sprinkled on the people just like Moses sprinkled the blood of the sacrifice on the people then - The group of leaders see God - under his feet is a pavement made out of sapphire as bright as the sky -- I think of the Luther Rose and the sky the envelopes the rose, heart and cross -- that blue sky - that sky that as we look to it we have a hope of joy to come -- that pavement and plan God has in store for us to follow Jesus to the feet of God- those feet ever so close - those feet of service that Jesus demonstrated to us - those feet of the people in our midst that we are here to serve for God - to wash those feet and tell the story of God’s saving acts through his Son Jesus and the blood he offered as our sacrifice and salvation for our - for my - sins.
Proverbs 11- Be honest - Be humble- Obey God
I wished him dead - but he gave me the money - is this my sunrise or sunset -- Forgive me Jesus for hanging you on that tree - I wished you dead - thank you Jesus for saving me not with silver or gold but with your precious blood and life- you gave me the money -- you have given me a sunrise and a new life to live this day in praise and service and trust in you -this is my sunrise not my sunset - I will turn to you - Thanks be to God!
God’s greatest plans are still to come. I may not see the plan but I must respond to the call - take the risk and use the gifts God gives with a promise in my call to serve.
Love an trust God and gladly do what he commands.
Psalm 95.1-11 - let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!
John 15.12-17 - This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.- I do not call you servants any longer - but friends - You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit that will last -- love one another
Psalm 67 - God- make your face shine on me- be gracious to me- that you way may be known on the earth- let the peoples praise you
Prayer - Lord- you were baptized by John - today let me relive my baptism - let me feel that washing of water - I turn to you - I face you and feel your warmth on my face - I follow that sapphire pavement and feel your glory - see your light - feel your presence - you mumble me - you keep me honest - send me this day to wash the feet of those you love - those in this world you would have me serve- let me show them the example you set years ago - that with great love and sacrifice your washed the feet - you gave your life and your saved all from sin and death -- that’s the story - out there for all us stones to take hold of - to cling to - to love and to give love to each other - today - send me to obey your command to love in my world --- Amen

No comments: