Friday, February 25, 2005

February 25th Reflection

Friday 2/25/2005
Matthew 6:1-18 - Don’t show off when you do good! -- Big deal! -- aren’t we supposed to do good anyway? - Don’t be a prayer show off either - make sure you take time for personal prayer time and devotion - every day -- me and God - in private - not for show - when you fast - don’t be a show-off - act like you always do - God knows what how you are and what you do in private. Some things are just between me and God don’t call attention to yourself- gain honor for God - not yourself- then the Lord’s Prayer- forgive each other - lead us not into temptation - God tempts no one to sin but God will guide us in such a way that we not experience the kinds of things that will test my our faith -- I like how the Lord’s Prayer is a community prayer-- talking about “us� all over and through it.
Exodus 33-34 - So God tells Moses that it’s time to move on -- Moses and God would meet in a tent -- called the “meeting tent� -- a thick cloud would come in front of the tent when they met-- Moses would receive messages from God - like a couple of friends - Moses and God were just getting over a tiff - about the people making the gold calf and Moses throwing a fit with the tablets -- now they have mended - they are friends still- God respected Moses so much that he decided to stay with Moses and move with him and the Israelite -- God told Moses that he was his friend and was pleased with Moses -- Moses wants to see God’s glory and God tells him that he can do that for anyone he chooses- So God lets Moses see him in his shining glory from the crack of a rock - God will cover Moses eyes until he passes by and then will let Moses see his back. -- so God made up with the people - gave Moses some new tablets with the commandments- agreed to stay with the people - when Moses came back down the mountain this second time his face was glowing with the love of God-- so much so the people didn’t understand it- so much so that Moses covered this love shining brightly with a veil - people just can’t understand or see the love of God - it’s that deep
Proverbs 15 - God is happy when I pray - God can see in my heart - Happiness makes you smile; sorrow can crush you - a simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred - good people think before they answer - a friendly smile makes you happy
God’s greatest plans are still to come. I may not see the plan but I must respond to the call - take the risk and use the gifts God gives with a promise in my call to serve.
How will I respond to God’s awesome gift of salvation -- I will rejoice and join in the party!
At great cost he has saved and redeemed me, a lost and condemned person. He has freed me from sin, death, and the power of the devil- not with silver or gold, but with his holy and precious blood and his innocent suffering and death. All this he has done that I may be his own, live under him in his kingdom, and serve him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, just as he is risen form the dead and live and rules eternally. This is most certainly true.
Exodus 17.107 - From the wilderness of Sin -I wander -- and God gives me water from a Rock- the Rock of my salvation
John 17.1-11 - Jesus did it all -- then he asks God to protect us - protect me and my friends and all people
Psalm 23 - Jesus leads - by water-on the right path - he protects me - loves me - feeds me and cares for me
Prayer - Jesus - sometimes I feel so alone - so separate from the world - so much on a different track from everyone else- but when I go it alone - when I go into prayer alone - when I go into my room - you are there- you are there to speak softly and gently into my ear - to lead me - to guide me- to love me- to teach me - to show me what to do each day - it’s a wild ride - but I can feel the cloud - I can feel the fire - I can feel your presence just like in the tent -- you are my friend - the one I can depend on - the one always there - In you is that life giving water- that light of love - that baptismal fire that burns in that candle - show me how to take your love to the world - heal my heart and send me out anyway - give me the words to say - put me on that horse to go into my world with your creed - with your Word - with your love and help me to slay those dragons in your name - and when I come home all wounded - heal me like only you know how. -- Amen

No comments: