Thursday, February 24, 2005

February 24th Reflection

Thursday 2/24/2005
Matthew 5.21-48 - Good advice - don’t be angry with each other - confront it and make peace - Don’t look and lust after other women -I am unfaithful in my thoughts when I do this - Don’t get a divorce too easily- make sure you have tried everything to save the marriage - When you make a promise stand by your word -- make it a simple yes or no - people don’t need my big explanations -Don’t take revenge on people - go out of your way for someone that hurts you - Love the people around you like God loves them -- even harder - love those you can’t stand.
Exodus 30-32 - More in instructions on how to build the altar -- but what sticks out here for me is the whole thing of incense and perfume -- how God uses smell -- the whole sacrifice of animals - throwing blood around - burning fat parts - burning kidneys and stuff -- what a smell this must have made - sometimes I see it called a smell pleasing to God- but when I think about it - unless it was like a cook-out - I think maybe it wasn’t such a nice smell -- and then the smell was due to a sacrifice for sins -- to me I think more of a stench -- then the incense and perfume come in -- this seems closer to me to be that forgiveness God gives for that stench of sin - that sweet smell of perfume that was used on Jesus -- knowing that Jesus death was coming -- that sweet smell of forgiveness -- smell-- a nice sense that God uses to help us see him in everyday life- today - I’ll think of smell -- I almost forgot all about Joshua being with Moses on the mountain - at least part way down - Joshua must have been a faithful guard and waited for Moses return - as they were coming down the mountain they notice the people having a wild celebration around a god they had built -- they already forgot about God’s love-provision and power- Moses gets mad and throws the tablets down and breaks them -- how I break the commandments -- how many times has God been mad at me -- I need his forgiveness - I plead for forgiveness and God grants it to me - I’ll keep working on this all my life -- but I’m so thankful God forgives -- I will smell the stench of my sin and revel in the perfume of God’s forgiveness and continue to turn back - to serve - to love God - and to love my friends and neighbors in the way that I see God has loved me.- sin - it’s not all that easy - it’s not as easy as it sounds - forgiveness - it’s not my excuse - I strive to repair my sin - but know also the freedom that forgiveness gives -- Thanks be to God!
Proverbs 14 - It’s wrong to hate others - don’t use empty talk - respect God - don’t lose your temper - be kind to the poor
A Luther Prayer
O my dear Lord Jesus Christ, you have said: Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you (matt. 7:7). In keeping with this promise, give to me, Lord. I ask for neither gold nor silver, but for a strong and firm faith. While I search, let me find not lust and pleasure of the world, but comfort and refreshment through your blessed and healing Word. Open to me, while I knock. I desire nothing that the world cherishes, for by it I would not be uplifted even for so much as the breadth of a hair. Grant me your Holy Spirit, who enlightens my heart, and comforts and strengthens me in my cares and trials. He secures my right faith and trust in your grace to the very end. Amen.
God’s greatest plans are still to come. I may not see the plan but I must respond to the call - take the risk and use the gifts God gives with a promise in my call to serve.
How will I respond to God’s awesome gift of salvation -- I will rejoice and join in the party!
God takes care of me and gives me all I need -- more than I need!
Luke 6.12-16 - Jesus went to the mountain and prayed through the night -- then chose his disciples -- pray before a big decision
1 Peter 1.9-12 - Grace made mine- Thanks be to God!
Psalm 124 - if it had not been the LORD who was on our side-- I would perish forever without hope
Prayer - Lord it all seems to go up and down - to the mountain top - to the valley - back and forth - sometimes way up high - communion with you is so close- other times way down low - my sin seems to fill my world with a stench -- I hear your instruction - I work with those you give to mea each day - but all of us are going up and down - all at different times- it’s hard to understand - but that’s not my place - I’m not here to understand your ways - I’m hear to turn back to you - ask and be forgiven and serve you in your kingdom - I’m here to please you - not me - I’m here to worship you - not that gold calf I place in front of me from time to time - cover my sin today with your sweet perfume of grace - cover my sin today with the gift of your Spirit - enlighten my heart and send me out once again refreshed and renewed to love the world with the love you show - to all I see- all I meet - all that you would have me minister to today -- I’m yours- I’m ready to go at it again! -- Amen

No comments: