Wednesday, February 02, 2005

February 2nd Reflection

Wednesday 2/2/2005
Luke 23.26-56 - Simon -- was grabbed to carry Jesus cross - follow behind Jesus and carry his cross -- I want that job - the women were crying for Jesus - the criminals put to death with Jesus - one insulted him and the other asked that he could be with Jesus after death - there ware insults and mocking - Jesus died - A Roman officer declared that Jesus must have been a good man - whe women hung in there with Jesus until he was placed in the tomb by Joseph -- then they went to prepare some sweet-smelling spices for Jesus -- that sweet smell of salvation - contrasted over that awful stench of sin and death -- that sweet smell of victory over sin and life for me
Genesis 42 - Jacob sent his sons to Egypt to get some grain because of the drought - the brothers came to Joseph who they didn’t recognize for the grain - Joseph knew who they were and played a trick on them - Joseph accused his brothers of being spies and to prove their innocence they must bring back their youngest brother Benjamin who was left to stay with Jacob -- then when they left - Joseph had the money that was to pay for the grain put back into their grain sacks -- so Simeon was left in Egypt until the others came back with Benjamin-- they got back home with Jacob and this whole thing upset Jacob -- he had already lost Joseph -- now Simeon was in jail and they wanted to take Benjamin to Egypt -- Jacob was afraid of what might happen- Joseph remembered his dreams as a youth about the grain - another person - Simeon in a pit in jail - I think this is the places that we see God -- in the pit - in the cistern - in the struggle - we realize how hopeless we are on our own - how we depend on God - how we need God to save us- how we can’t save ourselves- how we depend on God’s messengers of faith and love that he sends into our lives - Joseph was rescued from the pit - Simeon will be rescued from the pit - Jesus walked away from the tomb - It’s all about God
Psalm 33 - I am God’s -- obey him and celebrate! - God deserves praise- Sing a new song. Shout! Play beautiful music - Trust in God - he loves justice and fairness- everything in this world should worship God - God’s plan will stand forever - I depend on God
God has simply told us how to respond to his saving grace - do justice- love kindness- walk humbly with God
Walk in the crowds of death and life and see the gift of life in those who follow Jesus
Believe and do not doubt the words “given and shed for you for the forgiveness of sins� -- Jesus paid a great price - don’t doubt - I believe
Luke 2.22.40 - Open my eyes to see your salvation- which you have prepared for everyone - that great light - let it shine brightly throughout me and the world
Psalm 16 - Show me the path of life
Prayer- Jesus - you have saved me - you came - you suffered - you died - but you also rose - lead me to see the light of life in you - to reflect to my world today that light you have sent into this world - to see hope and salvation and rescue from the pit of despair, struggle, illness and death -- I praise you and sing songs of glory to you - I see the mighty creation of life you have surrounded me with and I see the daily miracles you set before me - you are God - I love you and give all thanks to you - all my trust and hope is in you - in only you do I depend. Send me out this day to gladly serve in your kingdom -- thanks! -- Amen

No comments: