Monday, January 02, 2006

January 2nd People Reflections

Monday 1/2/2005

Luke 6.1-26-His disciples were pulling off heads of grain, rubbing them in their hands to get rid of the chaff, and eating them.

Genesis 3-5-What if he now should reach out and take fruit from the Tree-of-Life and eat, and live forever?

Psalm 2-But if you make a run for God-you won’t regret it!

Isaiah 60.1-6-The glory of the LORD shines brightly on you.

Genesis 2.10-15-From Eden a river flowed out to water the garden, then it divided into four rivers.

Psalm 104.1-5, 14-28-and you feed each one with your own hand, until they are full.

"The two center candles went out."- Sarah seeing that the each center candle in two groupings of three had went out on the altar. Well- I had to say something- so I figured the center candle was for Jesus and told her they left for Egypt. Made me think back to that tree in the center of the garden. We tend to think only of the tree that Adam and Eve ate from- but there is this tree also there – the Jews represented this tree with the menorah- in the temple- but I like to think of it as the cross- and God didn’t want us to eat of it’s fruit- I think today I eat of it’s fruit each time I take communion- that fruit of the body and blood- the bread and wine of Jesus my salvation- God wanted his Son to die for me way back then- before I even knew I needed it and before I even existed- and realizing this – I want to make a run for God- see him and run to him and hold him and love him just like a small child who is lost would run to a parent in site- I want to feel the light and warmth of Jesus shine brightly on me- on my face and in my heart- I want to quench my thirst from those gracious baptismal waters that flow from that stream that feeds the Garden of Eden- I want to eat the bread from God’s hand until I’m full- I wonder if the disciple felt this joy on that Sabbath long ago when they were allowed to pull the heads of grain, rub the grain in their hands to get rid of the chaff and to eat? – "The two center candles went out."- It was true- but I think instead of leaving for Egypt – those flames left to burn in the center of our hearts the love and life and grace of a child born in the center- feeding and sustaining all life. Giving life- right from the center.

Prayer-Lord, burn you flame in my heart this day and give me life- right from the center of me and my world. -- Amen

No comments: