Monday, January 09, 2006

January 8th and 9th People Reflections

Sunday 1/8/2005

Luke 9.1-27-Don’t make a scene. Shrug your shoulders and move on.

Genesis 15-That’s when GOD made a covenant with Abram….

Psalm 8-GOD, brilliant Lord, your name echoes around the world.

Mark 1.4-11-As soon as Jesus come out of the water, he was the sky open and the Holy Spirit coming down to him like a dove.

Matthew 3.13-17-For now this is how it should be, because we must do all that God wants us to do.

Psalm 18.1-19-When I was fenced in, you freed and rescued me because you love me.

"Which way are you heading?"—I had asked for directions to another Big Lots store that may have the bed that I was looking to purchase. This store in Hickory was out of stock. "Which way are you heading?" – I didn’t have the slightest idea which way I was heading. We finally got some directions from a lady at a Consignment Store where we purchased a chair. Jesus sent his disciples out to tell the good news. He gave them advice- If someone chooses not to listen- Don’t make a scene. Shrug your shoulders and move on. Which direction were they heading? God sent Abram out from his home country. I wonder if Abram knew which direction he was heading? Jesus was baptized by John. Which direction was he heading? Then the Holy Spirit descended like a dove. I think I may nor really need to know exactly which direction I am heading as long as I am following the Spirit of God. Listening and following God’s voice and trusting in him all along the way. And when I’m feeling fenced in and trapped I can trust that God will free and rescue me because he loves me. "Which way are you heading?" – I’m following the voice of my Lord and Savior- whatever direction he chooses for me to go.

Prayer-Lord, lead and guide me this day. – Amen

Monday 1/9/2006

Luke 9.28-62-Jesus said, "No procrastination. No backward looks. You can’t put god’s kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day."

Genesis 16-"You’re the God who sees me!

Psalm 9-I’m thanking you, GOD, from a full heart…

Genesis 2.4-25-It isn’t good for the man to live alone.

Matthew 2.13-15-Get up! Hurry and take the child….

Psalm 114-because he turns solid rock into flowing streams…

"Would you like to make that a combo?" – The girl at the Burger King counter at a rest stop on the way home in West Virginia. A combo of what? She means a sandwich with fries and a drink. But I only wanted the sandwich. So, no, I didn’t want a combo. Jesus sometimes is like a combo too. He comes alone or with things. Both ways are good. And Jesus calls me through my baptism- leads and guides me- tells me when it’s time to hurry up- tells me when to not look back- no time for a combo- get with it- go and do what I need you to do—other times- yea- there is time for a combo – God sees me and grants me rest in him- I have time to give thanks- to reflect on his blessings- I have time to stop and listen to him speak through friends- Combo or not- Jesus is with me- in flesh- in Spirit – and in my baptism. God rips open the heavens and descends like a dove- into this world and my life- and God cause me a solid rock to get moving like a flowing stream. "Would you like to make that a combo?" – Depends- what do you have in store for me this day Lord?- I’ll take either way.

Prayer- Lord, Speak to me this day- in prayer and with others- for your blessings I give you all thanks, praise and glory. -- Amen

No comments: