Monday, February 18, 2008

February 18th Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer

Hymn of the Day
As the deer runs to the river, parched and weary from the chase, we have come from hurt and hurry, thirsting for your healing grace. Jesus, source of living water, may we drink of you and live! ("As the Deer Runs to the River" - Text:Herman G. Stuempfle Jr., b. 1923)

Readings of the Day
Hebrews 13-For the bodies of those animals whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest as a sacrifice for sin are burned outside the camp. Therefore Jesus also suffered outside the city gate in order to sanctify the people by his own blood. Let us then go to him outside the camp and bear the abuse he endured.
Exodus 18-19-When the trumpet sounds a long blast, they may go up on the mountain.
Proverbs 8-I have good advice and sound wisdom; I have insight, I have strength.
Numbers 21.4-9-And the LORD said to Moses, "Make a poisonous serpent, and set it on a pole; and everyone who is bitten shall look at it and live.

God's Word of the Day
Gaze on the pole. Gaze at the cross. Gaze at Me and live.

Psalm of the Day
Outside the city, so much took place.
Jesus, My Savior was the slaughtered lamb.
Jesus, You gave Yourself for me.
Outside the city, in the world, with me in my sin, so much took place.
I come to You, Jesus, and gaze upon that pole outside the city.
I gaze and kneel in awe of Your love.
I see You on the cross.
I am bitten by the snake of sin, yet You hang from that pole.
I am bitten, sinful, deserving death on the cross.
In You sin dies and I live.
The Lamb is brought into the sanctuary.
The darkness of the tomb holds Your body.
Yet You do not die, You live.
Sins dies and You live!
What glory You have revealed, my Lamb from the pole of that cross.
What glory You reveal from the darkness of the tomb.
What glory You reveal in life.
Now I go outside this temple, outside this city.
I go alive and well and heed the sound of the trumpet.
I go fed with Wisdom, fed with Your body and blood.
I go refreshed with the living water, in joy.
I go outside the city to the cross.
I go in service to You.
I go in joy with You.
I go to my cross, outside the city.
I go and delightfully serve You in Your Kingdom.
I go to that cross outside the city.

Prayer of the Day
Jesus, You did it all. You, my sacrifice for sin, You, my Savior. I hear the trumpet sound and approach that cross and am given life. Now I go outside to serve and love those You give me this day. ---Amen

No comments: