Wednesday, March 23, 2005

March 23rd Reflection

Wednesday 3/23/2005

Matthew 20.17-34 - Jesus is very clear as to what will happen to him in Jerusalem- he tells this all to his disciples - but it’s as if the story just goes on - like this conversation happened but there is no discussion - then the mother of James and John requests that her sons be able to sit on the right and left of Jesus in his kingdom-- I think everyone is still thinking Jesus to be like David - Jesus will be another David and rule - both came from lowly backgrounds - one a shepherd the other a carpenter and God blessed both -- so I can see how easy this thinking would be - but Jesus kingdom is so much more that that of David - therefore Jesus answers were surely and enigma to the people of his day - then - with Jesus knowing what was soon to happen he comes on a couple of blind men -it’s business and love as usual for Jesus - he heals them - you would think Jesus mind would be preoccupied with upcoming events- but his love is so great for others that he still bursts into their lives and hearts with healing and grace.

Numbers 15-16 - I am the LORD, and I consider all people the same, whether they are Israelites or foreigners living among you. - here is a strong powerful message- there seems to be a range in the guilt of sin here- some sin is unintentional - but there is also sin that is intentional - I’ve never considered it this way - but it does seem that there is a distinction here- and it makes sense to me that if I intentionally sin - I am making a choice that I don’t care about what God has in mind and I am effectively making myself God at that point -- next a few people decide to challenge Moses and Aaron’s positions with God -- here again - we lose focus - God has given all of us a ministry - we can be happy with that- the ministry may change or it may remain the same- but that is all God’s decision - there isn’t a ministry ladder to climb where we gain glory for ourselves- there were some Israelites who seemed to me to want to climb that “ministry ladder” -- and glorify themselves above other priests and God -- it doesn’t work this way - God punished them for this choice of theirs - these men even referred to Egypt as the land of milk and honey and wanted to go back to Egypt -- no trust in God’s leadership at all - then after the fantastic illustration of the earth opening up and swallowing these men and their families- some Israelites still had the nerve to complain to Moses and Aaron that some of God’s people were killed-- Hello!!!-- get the message!!!!-- It’s not about you -- It’s about God - God is God- don’t try to glorify yourself - trust-depend-believe-hope in God -- not some lay people or any priests - only God!

Ecclesiastes 9.13-10.20 - More sayings about being wise verses foolish - even one about the “little bird” might hear and tell everything.

It’s about a community of faith-love-forgiveness and God’s grace.

From a parade-to death-to life

Confess your sins - I am guilty and need God’s mercy

John 13.21-32 - Jesus is betrayed - Forgive me the times I have betrayed you!

John 6.31-35 - For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world- manna-Jesus-”I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, an whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” - then this reminds me of “I AM”

Psalm 105.38-45 - “They asked, and he brought quails, and gave them food from heaven in abundance.” -- “He opened the rock, and water gushed out; it flowed through the desert like a river.”

Prayer- Lord Jesus - you are here today once again - early in the morning -fresh in my life - telling me the story of your death - your suffering - your resurrection and life - I hear you but we just move on with things- I see you move on into the world to teach people your way - to teach me how to be a servant - I see you move on into the world in healing - healing thorough all those people active in your world today - yet the mission ahead is there - you are moving into Jerusalem to give your life - to love your people - thank you for this gift you have given - you did it for all people - even the foreigners with the Israelites- help me to say focused on you - it’s your glory - it’s your power - let me never think that it’s about me - for I trust, depend and lay all my hope in you - forgive me when I sin - especially today I think of time I betray you - turn from you - forgive me I pray - fill be with your bread of life - the food I really need and the water that will never leave me thirsty. Send me into your world refreshed and ready and able to serve you in your kingdom . ---Amen

No comments: