Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Re: March 13th Reflection

Dear Friends,
 
I like this Matthew story a lot too. But because of Peter and Jesus. Peter starts out walking on the water - filled with faith and confidence. I imagine him looking Jesus right in the eyes - filled with expectation and happiness. But then Peter becomes a little distracted - his eyes stray away from Jesus to the waves. The waves start looking very scary and soon Peter is looking at those scary waves all of the time - no longer looking at Jesus at all. How many times in our lives, within each day even, do we become distracted from looking at Jesus? Those problems around us look really threatening and we begin to doubt whether we can overcome them at all. The more we worry about those problems, the more we sink right into them and  the less we look at Jesus. We stop looking at him right in the eyes - no longer filled with expectation and happiness that he really has the power to save us from those problems.
 
Diane
 
 ----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Lynch
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 8:21 AM
Subject: March 13th Reflection

Sunday 3/13/2005

Matthew 14.22-36 - I like this one- how Jesus sends the disciples on - cares about them to tell them to go on ahead -I’ll catch up later- then he goes to the mountain to pray- where he could be alone- how nice it is to be alone and pray at times- to center and focus on God -- then how Peter takes the chance when Jesus is walking on water- at least he does it - he doesn’t lay back - he steps on out - into the water- takes that leap of faith- and when his faith is weak - Jesus pulls him up- how much I want Jesus to pull me up by the hand when my faith is weak - he does it all the time and that’s so nice- just how he cares and loves me- especially when my faith is weak

Leviticus 22-23 - Who are all these people with infected penises?- This is just too much! -- God -I just don’t get all these rules! -- some are way too specific and odd- I don’t get it! -- Now the next part I really like- all opportunities for us to get together and worship you - to praise you - to offer gifts to you - I like all that stuff!

Proverbs 31 - a woman who honors the LORD deserves to be praised. Show her respect-praise her in public for what she has done.

I have been anointed- given a special designation by God. God looks differently at me. He looks to my heart. I will perform the work God has called me to.

Change me Lord-from death to life- let me see your grace and respond in love and joy forever

I have been buried in my baptism- with all the water- completely immersed in it - Just like Jesus was buried-- but again just like Jesus - I am pulled out of that water to a new life - and raised! - I too may walk in newness of life by the glory of Jesus

John 11.1-45 - Jesus had just been threatened with death in Judea-- but knowing that Lazarus is dead-Jesus is willing to go back to raise Lazarus from death - Jesus will walk right back into danger to save Lazarus from death - Jesus is the resurrection and the life- I must believe in him- even though I will die - I will live - I will never die- because of Jesus -- Jesus talks to me for the sake of me- so that I may believe in him - Jesus has unbound me from the dead -just like Lazarus and let me go - I will praise God! - I believe!

Jeremiah 23.20-24 - God is near - not far away - he fills heaven and earth

Psalm 89.1-11 - I will sing of God’s love forever and proclaim his faithfulness to all

Prayer- Jesus on this day you rose from the dead- you gave me life - you gave me salvation - I will praise you in joy and thanksgiving-- I will reach out to your hand when my faith gets weak and I begin to sink back into those waters- I will reach out for your hand fully knowing that you save me from sin - that you will keep me from evil and show me the path to follow you -- you take me from death to life- you save me from my own rotten smell - my rotten smell and decay of sin - just like all those old laws in the OT - you direct me from decay to life - from drowning in my sin to walking on water with you- how can I not proclaim your love to the world and sing praises to you this day. You are God! -- Amen

No comments: