Thursday, March 24, 2005

March 24th Reflection

Thursday 3/24/2005

Matthew 21/1-27 - So things are really heating up - Jesus tells his disciples to go get a donkey and a colt - the owner will let them have it - so they do - just like that - nothing to it - I think sometimes Jesus gives us things to do that seem strange and impossible at first - but then when we do them there was nothing to it - it was real easy - So Jesus rides into Jerusalem and is praised by the crowd - head for the temple and gets pissed at all the people in there taking advantage of people by selling temple “stuff” -- things needed to sacrifice to God- money changers ripping people off because they needed special money used at the temple - it was all a bunch of crap and way off base to what God had intended- the death to life theme - that’s what God wanted the people to realize - that he brings them out of the death of sacrifice to life in him- but what he really wants is me- I must sacrifice myself to God so God can use me in his kingdom - here and now and in his kingdom to come - it is life - I’m made to worship God - not myself! - then next day Jesus wakes up hungry - I like how they are just walking along and find something to eat- so he sees this fig tree- but it doesn’t have any fruit on it- well - what’s the point of that - so Jesus tells the tree that it will never grow any fruit again and the tree dries up - Jesus seems to be annoyed - I guess when you have been going around with your ministry - teaching- healing - praying and working for the people and they still don’t get it - I can see how he would be annoyed- cause time is running out - Jesus loves these people and they still don’t get it - reminds me of how Moses must have felt or God felt with the Israelites- but that fig tree- well my season is now - I better have some fruit on me- cause there’s no excuse!- the disciples saw what happened to the tree and Jesus used this as a time to illustrate faith- if you have faith - making that tree dry up is easy - If you have faith when you pray, whatever you ask for will be given to you --well Jesus gets back to the temple and the authorities are questioning Jesus authority -- so they try to trap Jesus by asking where he gets his authority - they were going to condemn him if he said from God -well it was from God- Jesus knew this - but Jesus sets the priests up with another question about John the Baptist - where did he get his authority - if they answered from God then their question to Jesus would not work - and if they said from humans the people would revolt because they thought John was a prophet- so they said -- We dunno!

Numbers 17-18 - OK - they are all fussing about who is the greatest - who is the big priest and stuff- so God tells Moses to have the leaders to take their walking sticks and write their names on them - he places all these sticks in front of the ark -- then God will choose the stick of the man to be his priest -- so Aaron’s stick is chosen cause the next day it has flowers and almonds already growing on it -- so -- hmm!- that’s all a bunch of crap anyway - the real priest is Jesus-- think of that crummy looking cross in the church by the lectern -- I’ll bet by Easter Sunday there will be flowers all over that crummy looking thing - that crummy looking stick that represents death and pain yet salvation will grow flowers of joy - endless joy for you and me -- and that crappy stick- belongs to Jesus - the real priest - so don’t think so much of yourself - worship the real priest and find joy in that salvation! - so now I can see how important it was for the Israelites to have the high priest clearly identified- it is Aaron - but today and for all time our great high priest has clearly been identified as Jesus.

Ecclesiastes 11.1-8 - Be generous and someday you will be rewarded - Share what you have with seven or eight others- now this one I like - “Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun.” -- that’s true!

It’s about a community of faith-love-forgiveness and God’s grace.

From a parade-to death-to life

Don’t torture yourself with imaginary sins -- there are enough real ones to confess anyway.

John 13.1-17, 31b-35 - Jesus washed the feet of his disciples a servant act of love and devotion - then he died on the cross for all - a servant act of love and devotion - a command given that night - “So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.” -- A command - an earthly element - another new commandment given - “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.” - A command - an earthly element - a promise that you will receive him. Thanks be to God!

Exodus 6.1-8 - Now you shall see what I will do --God has heard my groaning and will rescue - He is God! - He will redeem with an outstretched arm and will by my God

Psalm 116 - I love the LORD - he hears my voice - the snares of death encompassed my but when I call on God - he hears and rescues me and saves me - When I was brought low, he saved me - Lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD

Prayer - Jesus - you came to Jerusalem - mysterious and humble - yet strangely very highly exalted- you walk with authority - you become angry with confidence - you set the perfect example for all of us- as I reflect on your life - on your ministry - on your healing and teaching - I see your saving grace - your love for all people - I see how you want all of us to treat one another- I try so hard to understand that deep love you exhibit - but don’t quite get it all - I’ll keep on trying to figure it out - forgive me when I fail - forgive me when I lose trust - forgive me when I’m cruel to others- and keep on teaching me about the special love you have- I’m your apprentice - don’t give up - I’m sure it’ll take a life time for me to even get a little of it - but don’t give up - use me in your kingdom- use me to love your people - use me to teach your lessons - use me to walk your paths and serve you and your people. ---Amen

No comments: