Tuesday, March 08, 2005

March 8th Reflection

Tuesday 3/8/2005

Matthew 12.1-21 - God desires mercy not sacrifice -- Jesus demonstrates this with a couple of actions he takes on the Sabbath - one is where the disciples eat grains of wheat -- they eat what they need to feel good -the Pharisees think that if they did eat they should only eat what was necessary -- Jesus points out that they can eat however much they want -He is Lord of the Sabbath - he is God after all - he can do whatever he wants - he can change any law any rule anything he wants - I tend to lose sight of this sometimes while reading - Jesus is God after all - he can do what he wants -- and Jesus then does - he heals a man with a crippled hand -- the point is - hey! -- it’s ok to rescue some animal but not to heal a person? - what’s with that? - we forgot in all our rule obeying that God cares about people -it’s about a loving relationship with God - care about the people more than some animal - God desires mercy over sacrifice dummy!-- So since we can see how good Jesus is to the people - even beyond the rules of the day - we can see how great Jesus really is!

Leviticus 14 - So what’s the deal with the right ear lobe -the right thumb and the right big toe? -- I can only figure that it was some ritual maybe to symbolize the entire body -- then the whole deal with the house and mildew -- it is taking things from death to life - even the idea of the leper coming back into the community.

Proverbs 26 - Each day brings its own surprises - Don’t brag about yourself-let others praise you. - Just as iron sharpens iron, friends sharpen the minds of each other.

God has invited me to a party. I should have been rejected- but God’s love is so deep he accepts me and my sin - forgives me and throws a party! - I will run to God’s arms for a hug.

Put your trust and faith in God and you will be a hero!

I have been anointed- given a special designation by God. God looks differently at me. He looks to my heart. I will perform the work God has called me to.

Deliver me from every evil to body and soul!

John 6.16-27 - Jesus is funny sometimes- the disciples are out in the boat heading across the sea- the wind blows and stuff and here comes Jesus walking on the water to catch up -this is different - then they wanted to take him in the boat but immediately the boat reached the other side - what happened?- the crowd wondered the same thing - then Jesus makes a point - don’t follow him because of the miracles and fantastic stuff- but look beneath all that - follow Jesus because he can save you - he can feed you and you must have him to live eternal life- you can’t get that out of a loaf of Wonder Bread - only out of Jesus suffering-death-resurrection and the forgiveness of my sin- now that’s some real Wonder Bread for eternal life!

Exodus 3.1-12 - God talks to Moses out of a burning bush -- just look around- God talks in so many ways- turn from my daily routine and notice God talking- listen to him!

Psalm 61 - Lead me to the rock that is higher than I; for you are me refuge, a strong tower against my enemy.

Prayer - Mercy not sacrifice - Lord as I go out into the world today - help me to reveal your truth to the world - mercy not sacrifice - help me to display your mercy to those I meet- help me to lead from death to life in you the people I touch today - may it all be about you - may I be a friend that will touch the minds of others friends that we all may grow in love towards you together - for I see your miracles- I hear your voice - I must follow-- Amen

No comments: