Friday, June 01, 2007

June 1st - Daily Word, Hymns and Psalms

It's time to change formats again. Every June I like to change formats of my Daily Devotions and offer some explanation to what in the world I'm doing here.
---
If you follow the readings day by day. In one year you will have read through the entire Bible.
---
The first three readings of each devotional accomplish this.
The third scripture passage listed follow the theme of the church year in some way. So not only do you read through the Bible in one year---you also do a little more!
---
Next you will see a statement that I seem to hear God telling to me. It's a statement that seems to be from God.
---
Finally, I always close with a prayer.
---
Over the years I have used various formats. The first was just my reflections on the scripture passages. Then I used phrases that I seemed to hear God speaking through people. Last year I used pictures and visions from God. This year I will be quoting words from Hymns or Music I have heard and changing my writings to be my offering of psalms to God.
---
So we'll see how it goes. All in all, I offer my time and worship and prayer to God in my devotional. You are welcome to come along for the ride. I know you will hear the voice of God somewhere along the way.
---
Through the Blog site, feel free to make any comments or observations you would like to share.
Bill
June 1st - Daily Word, Hymns and Psalms
Holy Father, holy Son, Holy Spirit, three we name you, though in essence only one; undivided God we claim you and , adoring, bend the knee while we own the mystery. ("Holy God, We Praise Your Name" - Text: source unknown; tr. Clarence A. Walworth, 1820-1900)
---
Romans 7-Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God thorough Jesus Christ our Lord!
Samuel 16-And the LORD said, "Arise, anoint him; for this is he."
Psalm 61-Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psalm 8-O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth, who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens!
--- --- ---
Come, pause and dwell on that awesome mystery of Me and the depths of My Love.
---
O Lord day by day I cry to you!
I search you each and every morning.
I seek to understand Your way and Your call.
I'm a sinful man.
Yet You reveal Yourself to me.
It just doesn't make sense.

I'm a sinful man.
I don't do what I want to do in Your sight.
Yet You still show me the mystery of Your Love.
You show me Your mystery in Word.
You reveal Your Love through Christ.
It just doesn't make sense.

Then You graciously anoint me with baptismal oil.
You choose me!
I'm a sinful man.
You choose me and lead me to that Rock that is higher than I.
You reveal Your Love through Christ to me day by day.
It just doesn't make sense.

I will give You praise and honor and glory forever and ever!
You are majestic throughout all space and time!
You are my God and Savior!
I'm a sinful man and turn to You.
You come to me as Creator, Redeemer and Comforter.
It just doesn't make sense.
---
Lord, I give you thanks and praise for the mystery of Your very being. I give you thanks and praise for the mystery of Your Love. Forgive my sin this day and use me in Your Kingdom I pray. ---Amen

No comments: