Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

Father's Day

So I got this idea yesterday, Dad. I thought I would try to talk to you once again. So I figured if I could hook my ham radio up to this antenna and crank up the power, maybe I could make contact with you. Maybe we could talk about things. I could see how things were going with you. But then I thought about it some more and figured this gift would be more of a gift for me than for you. But maybe not. I know how you liked to know how things were going with me. How my life was progressing. How the kids and family were. How it was at work. So then it seemed like a great idea again. I thought yea, we could talk like we used to at the bowling alley, at the kitchen table over coffee, or even talk like we used to on a walk. I could tell you about my life. Ask you all kinds of questions that I've gotten so far behind on. Talk about God, talk about Jesus and faith and all that stuff especially. Talk about Bible stories we recently lived out. Tell you all of my troubles. Listen to your wisdom. Hear your life stories. Hear how to be humble yet honorable. Just talk.

But it didn't work that way. I couldn't get the connection through this antenna. So then I got this bright idea that at least if I hooked up to this antenna, I could tell the world what a great Dad I have. How he is always there for me. But that wouldn't make much sense either. Everyone already knows that. Everytime I mention your name people say what a good guy you were. And I think "was?" --He still is a good guy. But they don't get that part usually. They think of you in the past.

So last night I cried. Wanting to wish you a Happy Father's Day but not knowing how. I got up real early because of this. Or was it real late? I got up and sat and thought. Then like always, I heard your voice. I heard you talk about how you missed your Dad, Gramps. I heard you say how you really wished you could talk to Gramps from time to time. Then I heard you tell me how sometimes you felt Gramps was with you. And.....there you were!

We talked last night. I realized I didn't need some big antenna or radio to talk to you. All I had to do was look inside. Look in my heart. And there you were. With all the advice and wisdom and knowledge and comfort you always have to give. Right there with me all the time. Then you pointed out to me that anytime I need you, you are there, in my heart.

That's when we had one of our old time talks. And I pointed out a scripture that enlightened both of us. We looked up John 14 together---We talked about how Jesus is with us all the time too. --

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him." Philip siad to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me: Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father?' Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves.

And that was it! Now I know that you are in me too, we are family together in and through the love of Jesus. Both you and I are family with Jesus too! But more and most importantly I can be with God because the Father, the real Father, is in Jesus. And if we know Jesus we will know and see God. And I can't make all this happen with a big radio and a huge antenna. All I need to do is believe what Jesus said. And if that's hard then look and believe in what he does. There Jesus finds us and we see him.

Now that's a gift, Dad, that we can both celebrate Father's Day with.

I love you Dad! - I'm going back to bed now.

Talk to you later. The easy way!

Your Buddy,

WT

No comments: