Monday, January 28, 2008

January 28th Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer

Hymn of the Day
Cure your children's warring madness; bend our pride to your control; shame our wanton, selfish gladness rich in things and poor in soul. Grant us wisdom, grant us courage lest we miss your kingdom's goal, lest we miss your kingdom's goal. ("God of Grace and God of Glory" - Text: Harry E. Fosdick, 1878-1969)

Readings of the Day
Luke 20.27-47-Now he is God not of the dead, but of the living; for to him all of them are alive.
Genesis 37-So when Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe, the long robe with sleeves that we wore; and they took him and threw him into a pit. The pit was empty; there was no water in it.
Psalm 28-To you, O LORD, I call; my rock, do not refuse to hear me, for if you are silent to me, I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Judges 6.11-24-Peace be to you; do not fear, you shall not die.

God's Word of the Day
You may be thrown into the pit, but do not fear. I come to draw you from the pit. You will not die, but I will pull you up and use you to My glory.

Psalm of the Day
Somehow, I manage to do it every time.
I get myself thrown into the pit.
Sometimes I walk right into that pit.
I know I deserve it.
But I hate this pit.
I hate this separation from You, Lord.
Pull me out of the pit.
Save me with Your gracious Love.
How I need You to pull me out of the pit.
I trust in You to save me and draw me out of this pit.
Save me from this war of mine.
Save me from my selfishness and pride.
Save me from myself.
Put my sinful, selfishness to death that I may once again live in You.
Somehow I manage to do this every time.
Pull me from this pit!
In You alone I place all trust and hope.
Pull me from this pit!

Prayer of the Day
Lord, save me and pull me from the pit. I hear Your call. I feel the fire in my belly to serve You. Pull me from the pit and use me this day, I pray. ---Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you think, please, of Obadiah Shoher's interpretation of the story? (here: samsonblinded.org/blog/genesis-37.htm ) He takes the text literally to prove that the brothers played a practical joke on Yosef rather than intended to murder him or sell him into slavery. His argument seems fairly strong to me, but I'd like to hear other opinions.