Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Walk with Jesus the week of January 14th

Comment: The past couple of weeks I have been involved with a group at my church Epiphany Lutheran Church where a group of us have been walking and contemplating towards a combined walking mileage to Jerusalem in preparation for Lent. Along the way we reflect on particular items. This past week I have been hospitalized and wrote this special reflection.


I was hospitalized this past week for a third bout with Crohn’s in the past few months and a second bout bringing with it a bowel obstruction in the past two weeks. From Sunday until at least now early Thursday morning, I did little to no physical walking whatsoever.
However, there was much walking taking place.

As I reflect on the Journey of the Magi towards Jesus years ago and compare and contrast some traveling that I felt take place this week to this time early in the morning of Thursday; I stop and reflect. No, Magi travelling from the east didn’t visit me. However Jesus visited me through his walking to me in many and various ways. I dare to estimate that Jesus walking for me at least amounted to hundreds of miles but in reality maybe even an infinite number of miles. You see, this week, Jesus has walked to me.

I noticed the pain of an oncoming attack right about lunchtime after church on Sunday. In an attempt to sleep it off that failed, I turned to my wife, Sue for help. A call to the doctor then a trip to the hospital.

Jesus walked to me and with me as my wife, Sue, graciously took me to the emergency room of Atrium Medical Center around 7pm. Sue, and various ER nurses walked with me and to me in the ER to relieve pain, to transport my bed, to take x-rays and to bring comfort. Jesus walking in the shoes of various loving, working, people taking care of me while I was in pain easily rating that ten they ask about. Jesus coming to me to take blood tests. Jesus steering my bed through the hallways to the hospital room.

Jesus coming to me to care for the IV’s and the tube running into my stomach to relieve pressure. Jesus was visiting me each morning through Dr. Stone and each afternoon through Dr. Sharma. Jesus walking to me through countless hours of the night, checking my blood pressure, my temperature, my sugar levels and so many other things I can’t even recall. Jesus was coming to me each day through Ray Cary and a Hospital Chaplain with prayer. Jesus coming to me as I reflected, prayed and studied my Bible. Jesus walking to my bedside in Psalms I wrote while in bed. Jesus walking by my side and feeling the pain I felt and knowing what I was going through. Jesus walking to me in phone calls from friends at work, from friends from home and from my friend and boss Mark Eads with care and comfort in this down time of mine. Jesus speaks me through John Payne through his telephone calls. Jesus came to me in cards from friends Sylvia and Hans Lenski and the Women of the ELCA. Jesus speaking to me through my Mother over the phone. Jesus coming to me in my family, Bryan, Sarah, Stephanie, Devin, Becky, Connie and Jesus especially walking to me in my new granddaughter Kaiya with her peaceful smiles and her relaxing careless sleep in my arms. Jesus walking to me each day through my wife Sue. Jesus walking to me through Nurses, and PCA’s and so many caregivers it’s hard for me to recall all of them. Jesus walking to me in Nurses in training from Sinclair. Jesus walking with me in the halls to tests and procedures.

Did I walk this week? I know so. You see, I walked with Jesus by my side this entire week. Jesus walked with me through the pain and in the recovery showing me how he heals from the inside out. Jesus comes to me, walking side by side and then into my heart. Jesus walked straight into my heart to begin the healing process from the inside out. Jesus was travelling much further than those Magi from the east. Jesus walking steadily beyond space and into my very being, calling me His child and loving me as His own. Jesus on that infinite walk of miles into my heart and soul showing me a compassion and love beyond any comprehension of my human understanding. Jesus walking to me calling me and teaching me a compassion and love that He wishes all of us to let go from the inside out. Healing from the inside out through His walk to me.
Sure, I walked this week. Many many miles. But what counts more than anything that I ever walked is that Jesus walked countless miles to and for me. And in this walk I give Him all thanks and praise.

And as I reflect on this Lenten-walking journey, I think of one more walk Jesus took in His pain and for all of us. Jesus walked the streets of Jerusalem dragging that cross as far as he could to die for me and for you, and give His life for yours and mine. You see Jesus became our sin on that cross and put that sin to death. In the giving of His life, in the death, Jesus brought Life to the entire world. So in this walk this week, I give my life. I know I will experience pain, but I know Jesus knows what that pain is and I gladly die to myself knowing of a Love and Compassion that brings Life from death.

Thanks be to God! And thanks be to Jesus for His walk into my life and into my heart even in the midst of pain.

Now I know how to walk in love and compassion for others.

Bill Lynch Thursday 1/17/2008 12:35 a.m.

No comments: