Tuesday, January 01, 2008

January 1st Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer

Note: If you followed along with all of the readings this past year; congratulations, you have read the entire Bible! At the beginning of each year, I like to switch translations from which I read and quote. Last year I used the New American Standard Bible (NASB) Life Application Study Bible, this year I will be using the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) The Harper Collins Study Bible. I'm looking forward to another wonderful year to walk through the Word with My Lord and Savior. You are invited to walk along side and comment along the way. Happy New Year! Thanks be to God!

Just a note on the format I am using currently: Each year in June, I like to change the format of my reflections. Since this past June, I have been reading hymns and making a particular verse part of my readings (Hymn of the Day)---next are the Daily Readings that progress through the Bible in one year along with a final reading appropriate to the Church Season from the ELCA daily readings (Readings of the Day)---I will pause and reflect on what I have read both from the hymn and the Bible and ponder what Word I have heard from God spoken to me (God's Word of the Day)---Then I write a psalm, or something that reflects what I have felt move me during this time with God (Psalm of the Day)---Finally a prayer to end my reflection (Prayer of the Day).

My reflections are quick and simple. I don't spend much time worrying about typos, grammar or mistakes, so you will have to forgive any you see and "go with the flow."

Past Reflections have taken various forms. All my reflections from the past several years can be viewed on my blogsite www.dlyrflctns.blogspot.com ---You are welcome to use them in any way you wish. Since they are on the web, I welcome public use also.

I hope you will be richly blessed and God will speak to you through these reflections. It's a wonderful journey and a great time to play in the Kingdom of God with a special Friend that comes knocking at my door each morning and asking, "Can Billy come out to play?"

Let's play!

Hymn of the Day
Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere; go tell it on the mountain that Jesus Christ is born! Down in a lonely manger the humble Christ was born; and God sent us salvation that blessed Christmas morn. Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere; go tell it on the mountain that Jesus Christ is born!
--- --- ---

Readings of the Day
Luke 5.27-39-And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed.
Genesis 1-2-Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness, God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
Psalm 1-Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers; but their delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law they meditate day and night. They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.
Luke 2.15-21-The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.
--- --- ---

God's Word of the Day
I AM born in you. You are new wineskin and I will pour My Spirit of Wine into you. Now go, tell what I have done in your life. Go! Tell!
--- --- ---

Psalm of the Day
You call the humble shepherd to You to witness Your Love, Your Word made flesh.
You call me, Your humble servant to witness Christ to the world.
You come and are born in me each and every day.
You make me into something new.
You fill me with Your Spiritual Wine.
You nourish me with Your Food.
How can I help but to run and tell the world of all You have done for me?
How can I help but to point to the Light of all in Jesus.
A Light that is infinitely more bright than that light You created in the sun.
I tell of a Light that stands alone. A Light that brings eternal and spiritual guidance.
I will always point to that Light of Christ.
Run and tell from the mountains, in the valleys, in the caves, and everywhere about the Light of Christ.
You call me to tell and I will tell because You have made me sooooo happy!
I'm so glad to tell what You have done!
Praise the birth long ago and praise the birth to me this day!
Thanks be to God!
--- --- ---

Prayer of the Day
I'm so glad You make me new each day of the year. Made new like a newborn baby. Be born in me today. You make me happy. Happy to run and tell and shout and scream Your praises throughout the earth! Happy New Year! Happy New Birth! ---Amen

No comments: