Tuesday, January 08, 2008

January 8th Daily Hymn, Readings, Word, Psalm and Prayer

Hymn of the Day
Vainly we offer each ample oblation, vainly with gifts would his favor secure; richer by far is the heart's adoration, dearer to God are the prayers of the poor.
--- --- ---

Readings of the Day
Luke 9.1-27-Then he said to them all, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me, For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it. What does it profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves?"
Genesis 15-"Look toward heaven and count the stars, if you are able to count them."
Psalm 8-When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars that you have established; what are human beings that you are mindful of them, mortals that you care for them?
1 Kings 10.14-25-The whole earth sought the presence of Solomon to hear his wisdom, which God had put into his mind.
--- --- ---

God's Word of the Day
I AM so much greater than you could ever imagine. Look to the stars and ponder creation. Look to the earth and see the detail. You could never give me enough. I seek you to give Me yourself, humble and poor as you are. I created you unique and perfect for what I have planned. I place my gifts within in you. Now use them to My glory.
--- --- ---

Psalm of the Day
Why are You mindful of me?
When I look to the stars and see the greatness of creation, I wonder...
Why are You mindful of me?
When I look to the earth and see the detail of your creation, I wonder...
Why are You mindful of me?
I could never shower enough gifts on You to satisfy.
Why are You mindful of me?
Yet You treasure the prayers of the poor.
Why are You mindful of me?
I adore Your glory and power and might.
Why are You mindful of me?
You tell me to deny myself and follow you.
Why are You mindful of me?
You beckon me to take up my cross and follow You.
Why are You mindful of me?
You gift me with unique gifts to be used to Your glory.
Why are You mindful of me?
I lose myself to You.
With eternal thanks, I'm so glad, You are mindful of me!
--- --- ---

Prayer of the Day
God of all creation. God of this universe. I'm so glad You are mindful of me. It's beyond what I can fathom. I give my life to You. I take up this wonderful gift and cross and gladly follow You. ---Amen

No comments: